Tuesday, December 08, 2009

It was another EPSD night at Pizza Man's house!  [Eat.  Play.  Sing.  Devotions.]

There I was, finishing a lovely dinner, thinking about how much I enjoyed chowing down without worrying about losing my lunch and chatting away with Pizza Man's Lovely Bride when I suddenly realized that I was having an allergic reaction and needed to get to my Epipen.  I did, pulled down my pants right there on the floor and jammed the sucker against my thigh.  I asked for a bandaid and slapped it on.  Then I sat there very quietly freaking out.

I did not...did not...want to go to the hospital.  But I was frightened.  And I was really disappointed because this disaster meant that I had reached the tipping point for avocados and cannot have them ever again. My last reaction was so mild that I thought I had a ways to go before avocados needed to be added to the taboo list!  Of course, a part of me was wondering if I was being punished for picking out all the left over pieces of avocado for my salad since I ate it at the end of the meal and everyone else had finished eating.  I savored every bite!  It was perfectly ripe and most delicious with the wild leaf salad.  Vee had included fresh basil.  Oh!  Tasty!

The Epipen had just expired, so I am not sure if how slow the drug seemed to be working had anything to do with that, but it did not help that my thigh started itching immediately, but it took me some long moments before I thought to ask if the bandaid had latex in it.  I peeled it off and Vee handed me another one.

So, she, Pizza Man's Sister, and I were sitting on the floor as I wondered if I should have them call an ambulance or at least go on to the hospital for monitoring.  Oh, my was I frightened.  Thinking about it now, I should have asked them to pray with me, but all I could think was to keep breathing and hope the drug worked quickly and well enough for me to stay there.


After a while, they helped me to the couch where I trembled and freaked out more until I declared I needed to be on the floor.  There I stayed for quite a while, willing my heart to slow and the swelling in my throat to subside...most determined that our EPSD evening was NOT going to end with just the E!  Life went on around me, the boy running and playing, books read, dishes washed, interesting conversation.  What a comfort!


Well, the medical drama precluded the P part of the evening, but we did sing hymns!  We sang many hymns!


We started with the Agnus Dei from DS3, then sang Lo! He Comes with Clouds Descending, I Leave All Things to His Direction, From God Can Nothing Move me, Abide With Me, We Praise You and Acknowledge You O God, and Jesus Came, The Heavens Adoring.

The last hymn is my "repeat" for the week, the one I have already played over and over again even though Pastor just sent them yesterday.  Now, I have yet to figure out the tune (SIGH).  Were it possible, I would have Pastor sing me the hymn bit by bit until I get it.  I would do so immediately.  The last part I have down and the first few notes.  The funny thing was that I said before hand I wondered if it would be easier to sing if everyone there chimed in.  As Pizza Man said on another particularly tough hymn three ESPD evenings ago, at least one of us had each note correct.

We then prayed Responsive Prayer 2 and the Litany.  Because they knew a way to sing the beginning of the Responsive Prayer from Matins, they let me record it afterward, singing a bit more of Matins for me.  Pizza Man did such a beautiful job of leading us that I told him he should, as head of household, learn to sing the Psalter (there are several options in the front of the hymnal) and then teach his household.  I would be his maidservant for the duration of the lesson so I can learn!

We did light the Advent wreath, reading the scripture and prayer, but actually forgot to do this when we first starting singing.  Of course, had we done so, the candles would have been mere nubs.  And there might have been spectacular pieces of chocolate cake provided by Pizza Man's Sister in between two of the hymns. All in all, despite the frightening interlude, I very much savored the evening.  And...we were all home and in bed (that's where I am headed) WELL before 2:00 AM!

This whole notion of waiting, of preparing for Christ to come, reflecting upon the ways He has already come to us and comes to us each day, has been a true blessing.  So much to consider, so much upon which to meditate.  December has changed for me.  My faith has changed.

My repeat hymn is, unfortunately, altogether too short.  Pastor's recording is a mere 2 minutes long.  So, I believe quite strongly that Pastor, Bettina, Pizza Man, Vee, and his Sister all should write me more verses, write verses about the ways Christ comes to us.  If they each did, I would have 9 instead of 4!  To encourage them, I took a stab at writing my own.  We sang it tonight...they at least liked the last line....  I guess I need to work on it more.  I cannot wait to sing theirs!

Jesus Came, The Heavens Adoring


Jesus came, the heav'ns adoring, 
Came with peace from realms on high;
Jesus came to win redemption, 
Lowly came on earth to die;
Alleluia!  Alleluia! 
Came in deep humility.


Jesus comes again in mercy
When our hearts are worn with care;
Jesus comes again in answer
To an earnest, heartfelt prayer;
Alleluia!  Alleluia! 
Comes to save us from despair.

Jesus comes to hearts rejoicing, 
Bringing news of sins forgiv'n;
Jesus comes with words of gladness,
Leading souls redeemed to heav'n.  
Alleluia!  Alleluia! 
Hope to all the world is giv'n.


Jesus comes in joy and sorrow
Shares alike our hopes and fears;
Jesus comes, whate'er befalls us,
Cheers our hearts and dries our tears;
Alleluia!  Alleluia!
Comforts us in failing years.
 (LSB 353)


Jesus comes in pain and anguish,
Holy stripes to make us whole.
Jesus comes to heal all our wounds,
Binding our iniquity.
Alleluia! Alleluia!
Grace and mercy save our souls.
(Myrtle)

~~~~
NOTE:  I am completely IGNORING the fact that, right now, I am having to nebulize.  An asthma attack now!  I am NOT going to the hospital!  I am also IGNORING the fact that I used my inhaler while we were singing hymns because I was starting to struggle.  Seriously, a body ought to be able to praise God without falling apart!

No comments: