Monday, September 12, 2011

I cannot win for losing...

I know that I am being very churlish and very petulant right now. Part of me is ashamed.  Part of me cares not, for I want to SCREAM out loud that IT isn't fair.

In the mail today, I received money from my grandfather's estate.  Of course I know I should put it all toward my medical bills from the pit bull attack.  But I wish that I could enjoy this inheritance, not merely have it cover expenses from a violent attack, the cause of which is another's fault and the expenses from which should be another's responsibility.  But, alas, the world of Myrtle simply does not work that way.

I called my beloved Bettina to open the mail with me.  So often, it has been bad news.  At this point, I do want to be alone when I open it.  Today, however, I had an unexpected distribution from the estate.  I was so surprised.  And, well, I really wanted to get something I wanted with it.  Anything but pay bills.

Bettina, bless her heart, suggested that I purchase the new pocket version of my beloved Book of Concord.  I have been HUNGERING to own it, but at $44.99 (plus tax and shipping), have found it to be rather out-of-reach.  My heart leapt at the idea!  Such good a good thinker she is!  I was so excited to own this copy that I could more easily carry about with me that I turned around to go back downstairs to log onto the computer.

In my haste, I was not as careful as I should be going through any doorway and smashed my left foot into the door frame.  Poor Bettina had to endure much hollering and cussing as I tried to swallow the pain.  I am about 98% sure I broke two of the toes on my left foot.  Plus, something seems to be moving about in my foot itself when I try to walk on it.

However, I DO NOT want to spend any more money on my body!  I DO NOT want another medical bill.  I DO NOT.  I DO NOT.  I DO NOT!

[Picture Myrtle flailing about on the floor while she is shouting this.]

I did hobble to the car, drive to the bank, deposit the check, and then high-tail it over to Taco Bell to drown my sorrows and pain in food.  Yes, I did that even though I awoke at 4:00 this morning rather violently ill.  That spot on the back of my head had been pressed against by the weight of a bun I forgot was in my hair when I fell asleep.  Mostly, I forgot because I had an asthma attack last night and struggled to fall asleep in the first place.  Such misery.  I took down my hair, showered, emailed a friend who is also a pastor, and crawled back into bed weeping and afraid and ashamed of my fear when I know what was happening.

I figured that if I am going to be miserable with foot pain after being miserable from that stupid nerve I would like, very much, to have cut out, then I would at least be miserable with Taco Bell.

This afternoon, as a way of avoiding the whole idea that I probably should be at the ER, I used the inheritance money to pay the orthopedic surgeon, doctor, and hospital.  I now have the ambulance bill and the MRI bill outstanding.  Since the MRI bill was denied as was my first appeal, I girded my loins and had a weeping-free conversation with the insurance company to see what was the next step.  Then, I called the hospital and spoke with the billing department to ask that it file the appeal, based on the preauthorization that the facility was to secure, but was missing.  This put the bill in holding, while an investigation is launched and the appeal is filed.  Mostly, all that is guaranteed is that no interested will be charged until an answer is forthcoming from the insurance company regarding the appeal. Something at least....

I then called Toyota and set up an appointment for the two recall repairs that are outstanding on my Highlander.  I have avoided doing this because sitting in plain chairs hurts.  Period.  After a few minutes, I begin to ache and the pain builds and builds until I get up.  This is why, at my appointments, I primarily just lie on the floor.  However, I do not believe lying on the floor at the Toyota service center will go over well with both staff and other customers.  However, I would rather be sitting in a Toyota waiting room (for free service) rather than an emergency room waiting room (for not-free service).  Silly, I know.  Wednesday, from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM I shall be tending to my vehicle.  [Do I get brownie points for that since the two notices date back to February?]

Finally, I girded my loins yet again to call Dell back, since I have not heard from the supervisor since Thursday, to ask about the replacement computer that was sent but does not work...crashes with software installation. The escalation team member said he would look into a third replacement computer and call me back before six this evening (it is now 6:07).  At least I tried.

After all that responsibleness, I very much wanted to purchase the BOC, but I keep thinking of all those bills.  So, I chose a smaller purchase.

You see, I have made two new friends, a pastor and his beloved wife who live out in North Carolina.  Kind folk are they.  I have not asked them for nicknames, so I thought perhaps I would just assign them Fred and Ethel.  You know...as in a couple of good neighbors!

Fred is the one who is reading my blog from beginning to end.  [Perish the thought.]  He is also as ardent lover of the Small Catechism as I am of the Large Catechism.  It is too long, really, to work through my thoughts and feelings (and fears) surrounding the Small Catechism.  Suffice it to say that I generally avoid this cliff notes version of our faith in favor of the Large Catechism.

As I wrote to Fred by way of explanation:  I love that there is no room for me in the Large Catechism. Even the brutality of Part One is a wonder. Luther spins out each commandment in such a way that there is no room for satan to twist a jot or tittle of it into helping you think that you could possibly keep them. In their impossibility, they drive you to the cross. Do not steal means do not steal, do not allow others to steal, protect the possessions of others and help them to increase their possessions. Do not lie means do not lie, do not allow others to lie, protect the reputation of others, even laying your honor upon their foibles. Enormity that can only be covered by perfection...and perfection is only gained through the cross. What a bloody conundrum! I LOVE that the next four parts sing of the sweetness of the Gospel, spinning it out to cover the entire existence of the human race, not just the whole world but all the worlds that have been and will be. I love that woven throughout his instruction is a litany of anguish, doubt, despair, and attacks of our foe. In the Large Catechism is my weak and weary faith, my doubts and despair, my bruised and broken body.

But I have not been able to set aside his own passion for the Small Catechism.  To give this piece of our Confessions better due, I decided to make a purchase I spotted on another friend's blog.  In one entry, she was reviewing her resources for this next year of homeschooling and mentioned those having to do with catechesis.  Something that caught my eye was Sing the Faith, which is the Small Catechism set to music for children.  At $7.99, I would barely notice this purchase from the inheritance funds (along with the $7.62 I spent at Taco Bell--yes, this includes burritos for tomorrow's lunch, as well as food for today's lunch and dinner).  I will admit, that I would MUCH prefer this not be children singing.  However, it is, at the very moment, playing.  I thought, perhaps, if I play it enough, I might think a tad bit differently about the Small Catechism.  [Did you get that, Fred?  Any brownie points from you??]

So, here I am, having spent 99% of the inheritance money on medical bills, staunchly ignoring the pain in my foot.  And I am weeping for once again I will not be receiving the Lord's Supper.  It has been an entire month, between difficult days and the holiday.  Now, another week will pass.  Hobbling to and from the car to go to the bank and Taco Bell was too much.  There is no way I would make it all the way to the sanctuary.  In less than half an hour, my brothers and sister will be given the sweet, sweet Word of Absolution, have the Living Word surround them, the sweet, sweet Gospel poured over them, and the forgiveness and healing of the very body and blood of Jesus Christ placed in their mouths. I rejoice for them, but I am bitterly disappointed for me.

Why, oh, why did I have to smash my foot today? Why not tonight...after church...or even tomorrow???



I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Myrtle dear, I am so sorry to hear about your foot. That just stinks. As I understand it, if it's broken toes there's not much the doc could do--I think he would just bind them so that they are immobile (I think). So if you can otherwise walk and you don't think anything else is broken maybe you can get by without a doctor visit or x-ray. But if you experience any severe swelling or are unable to bear weight maybe you need to have it looked at?

I believe with all my heart that there is a light at the end of this tunnel for you, that things WILL get better. I wish I lived close enough to come see you. I could have brought you a copy of Sing the Faith. We have more than one.

And your comment that you wish the singing wasn't done by children makes me wonder if there would be a market for an adult version of that CD, with an adult soloist or choir . . . you should float that idea to the powers that be!

Myrtle said...

Cheryl,

There is something moving around in my foot that does not bode well, but I am ignoring it. I am also not really walking. I REFUSE to have this be just another black hole of money I do not have. I really, really am frustrated that I had to spend my inheritance--something that was a surprise--on pit bull attack bills. Instead of say, a dishwasher, for my new home. Boy would that change my life and be a great investment. Of course, it would be a dishwasher and some judicious kitchen upgrading to accommodate the dish washer.

I have Evening and Morning, the Music of Lutheran Prayer and LOVE the acapella men's voices on there. LOVE it. LOVE it. LOVE it. I would VERY MUCH love it if the Small Catechism was sung by that men's choir. So, uhm, how about you float that to CPH for me!

There are so very many adults who do not know the Catechism, do not read the Book of Concord. Frankly, I think that CPH ought to do readings of the LC, AC, and SA at least. I have made recordings for people who have really liked them and they are horrid things...burps and all. ;)

SIGH. I wish you did live closer.

Cheryl said...

Myrtle, the powers-that-be at CPH would listen to you WAY BEFORE they would ever listen to me. ;-) But if we lived closer, I would bring the composer over and set him up in your living room and have him sing them for you start to finish and we could do your own personal recording right there. If only. Who knows, maybe some day!

Myrtle said...

Ah, what an awesome thought! Gee, doesn't he want to take a vacation to Fort Wayne???

BTW...I love that you are a Texan. Something sort of lingers in the blood, no matter where you move!

ftwayne96 said...

Oh, Myrtle, I too am sorry to hear about this latest misadventure/setback. It stinks. You must have given those toes on your left foot quite a whack to injure them so. And all on account of your love for the BOC! I guess you have suffered for your Lutheran confession of faith, huh?

I agree with Cheryl's recommendation if the breaks are confined to the toes. Icing it and Tylenol would in that case be your best bet for treatment. However if the foot is involved additional medical care would be needed. That could involve either Urgent Care, ER, or orthopedic. God grant, though, that you don't have to go any of these routes.

Do you have a copy of "Luther's Small Catechism with Explanation"? If not, I think I know someone who could send you one. The Small Catechism is not an abridgement of the Large Catechism; rather, the Large Catechism is an expansion and exposition of the Small. Or, to employ a different metaphor, the Small Catechism is the foundation upon which the Large is built.

You remain in our prayers. I know this is a time of testing for you, but the Lord is with you to uphold you as his dear and beloved child in Christ. That is the promise of your Baptism, in which The Triune God placed His Name on you and shelters you eternally with His gracious presence.

ftwayne96 said...

Fred and Ethel. . . Short, chubby, bald, cranky, old guy. Kyrie eleison! :-)

Myrtle said...

So...again...what's wrong with Fred? ;)