Wednesday, September 07, 2011

An unexpected blessing...

I have had many blessings in the move here, but one of them has been so very unexpected and so very profound in its impact upon my life:  The weather.  The why of this is difficult to fully explain.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis September 13, 1994 and have essentially lived indoors since due to the danger and debilitating effects of weather that might be enjoyable to you, but is too warm for me. Even the 70s, if humid, can be too much.  No longer are picnics or outings enjoyable to me.  I would grow frustrated and discouraged when the people I was with would insist on eating outside at restaurants.  I hated it because the majority of my attention was on how miserable I would feel and the price I would pay later.  Working in the yard--an activity that brings such stillness and peace to me--meant spending days recovering and was genuinely foolish and poor judgment to do.  At times, it seems the whole world lives and socializes outside, while I am trapped inside.


Today is Day 4 with no AC by my own choice. That truly boggles my mind!

I have spent more time outdoors now than I have probably since I was diagnosed--no exaggeration. I have spent hours and hours each day, sitting upon the back steps or lying in the grass (even though this is rather disconcerting to my neighbors).  Even on the warm summer days, evening cool breezes make sitting outside possible for me.  We had three weeks of the dome heat wave and this past week three days of stinking hot weather.  Other than that, with the AC cooling the house and the breezes cooling the great outdoors, I have been able to spend time outside nearly every day that was not filled with rain...even in the summer. Even in the summer!  

I feel so clumsy trying to put the joy and solace and peace of being able to do so into words.  I need sweeping metaphors, grandiose figurative language, and yet all I really have are tears of joy.  For one who has wept much over the past year, joyous tears are a most welcome gift.

I have seen sunsets that I have missed so dearly and bring thanksgiving for a Creator who loves us so to bring such beauty into our world.  I saw lightening bugs for the first time in decades, marveling in the creative mind and love of our Creator once more.  Mr. Hummingbird is a great companion, a true wonder and joy to behold. [Mostly, I think that I bought the pink bush just for him.]  I have watched baby bunny grow and frolic about the back yard.  I have seen Amos find his own kind of joy in sitting amongst the ferns or lying amongst the thistle.  A much as I would rather him not crush my plants, he sighs such deep contentment at those times that my protests fall silent as I join him in his moment of peace.


In my illness and anguish, I have been soothed in a way I am hard pressed to explain simply be being able to savor the out of doors.  In moving here, having heard the winters were harsh (I found it balmy) and the summers steaming (I find it perfect), I would never have expected this blessing.

And now, thanks to new friends, I was able to purchase a lawn chair a few days ago.  My the pleasure I have already had resting comfortably in the zero-gravity contraption!  Amos has even figured out how to join me.  [Yes, we have both napped in it!]

Indiana weather is glorious to me, a most blessed gift of my Good Shepherd. The mercy of God come to me, Myrtle, in a way I can grasp...the sun across my face, the fragrance of creation wafting about me, the wonder of His creatures before me, the breeze whipping through my hair, the moon shining down upon me, the stars twinkling above me.  All these things I have not been able to savor for years and years and years.  I believe that is undeniable in how God made smooth the rocky path before me that I might come to a place that is good for me in body and mind and spirit. For this, I give thanks and praise and hope that you might rejoice with me.



Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

1 comment:

ftwayne96 said...

I love this post! And yes there are oodles of people rejoicing with you. :-)