Tuesday, December 04, 2012

I'd rather be thinking about cookies...



I have two new symptoms ... well, one new and one new in duration. The first is nystagmus. It is like having seizures in my eyeballs. I hate it. I hate, hate, hate, hate it.  I am not sure if it is because of that or else wise, but I get so dizzy in bed at times that merely moving my head makes me ill.  SIGH.

The other is that I now have a constant migraine.  I can sort of take the edge off with a whole lot of different pain medications.  And every few days, I can stop it for a day or so with migraine medication.  But then the headache comes back.

I cannot say for sure, but it feels like the sides of my head are now as sensitive as the back.  Ice helps, but wearing glasses really hurts.  I need for someone to invent me some frames that go down the side of my face, veer to the back of my ears, and curve up over the back of them.  

So, today, a day without migraine medication, I ended up doing some cooking.  I baked bacon for sandwiches and for deviled eggs.  I grilled chicken for my dinner and three more meals.  I cooked Basmati rice for the same.  And I made cookies.  

On Facebook, I have this friend who posts photos of desserts all the time.  Oh, my, do they make me wish I were one who bakes.  I had this half bag of candy cane kisses, so I thought I would try one of her recipes.  However, since the recipe for the butter cookie part required vanilla bean paste, I went looking for another one.  

Baking is hard work.  First, the butter took FOREVER to thaw.  Seriously, I got all the other cooking completed (including thawing the chicken and the bacon) and even washed all the dishes before the butter thawed.  Then, there was all the beating of the butter and the sugar, then the butter and sugar and egg, then the butter and sugar and egg and vanilla.  When that was all done came the mixing in S L O W L Y of the salt and flour. I was plumb exhausted afterward.  While the dough had to chill for an hour, I had to unwrap all of the kisses.  

Of course, I did not know that you do not bake the kisses (that makes no sense to me).  So, after seeing the first batch brown on top, I baked the second batch upside down.  Neither look all that appetizing to me.  However, the butter cookie part is soft, not hard.  I absolutely do not like hard or crispy cookies.  The browned part did not really taste all that bad. Sort of like a browned marshmallow.  I do wish they looked better.

Only, now the cooking and the baking is all done and I am left with the searing pain in my skull, which I could blind and deafen myself because light and sound hurt.  And a sulking puppy dog who feels as if he has been greatly gypped by not having a single cookie crumb.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!






No comments: