Friday, December 13, 2013

One more day...


Huh?  Well?  What?

I am so tired that I fell asleep (at home) whilst my charge was at tutoring and again sitting at a light when I was driving to pick him up.  I supposed I had not awoken enough before setting out.  I also might possibly have missed an episode of Babylon 5 tonight.

After dropping off my charge at school (having turned the wrong way at this intersection half-way to his school yet again), I dashed over to Goodyear to drop off the Highlander.  Dashing was actually my driving method because Marie was meeting me and agreed to go to Panera for bacon, egg, and cheese bagels.  Nobody make those things like Panera.  Fresh.  Hot.  Crack the egg in front of you.  SIGH.

We lingered a bit before coming back to my house, because in addition to trying the Baked Apple Chicken, Marie agreed to try a new broccoli recipe I found.  First, though, she did some office supplies shopping.  [Yes, she took a bunch of binders and top loading sheet protectors amongst her haul.]  That really is why I have held on to those items. I want to continue to find folk who can use them, rather than toss them.  Especially since I have the space.

When I learned that broccoli is Marie's favorite vegetable—sadly not skinny asparagus—I thought I would try to find more broccoli recipes.  I found two, one of which should go well with the Red Lentil Dahl.  But today, I thought Parmesan Roasted Broccoli would go well with the chicken dish.  It did.  Because we are most accommodating with each other, Marie's portion of the broccoli had long stalks left on it and my were devoid of the slightest presence of stalk. Frankly, I think I would liked broccoli this way as much as I do roasted with Kulp Spices' organic seasoning salt.  [I forgot to take a picture because I was too busy inhaling my plate of broccoli.]

Marie took me back to Goodyear, where I learned that once work was commenced, the men discovered I need less than they thought.  [I am not the only one who has a hard time reading the maintenance recommendations.]  It has something to do with how my differential is and some other things I did not understand.  What I did understand is that they were honest and charged me almost $140 less than the estimate.

Dashing back to my charge's school, I was gobsmacked and giddy over how much easier it was to drive my Highlander.  I knew it was probably out of alignment (very much so), but I did not know that maintenance on the power steering could make such a profound difference.  I will say that, being the worry wort, I am a tad concerned with how quickly the car heated up and how effective the heater is.  The temperature gauge rose steadily to just a tick past mid-way and stayed their. I thought I remembered it always hanging out between 1/4 and mid-way.  What I do know is that it used to take forever for my car to warm up.  So, either I was desperately in need of all that flushing and filling and stripping and scraping and what not (the otherwise than the alignment) or something was not put back together right.

When I pulled into the garage after dropping my charge off at tutoring, I did see some ... steam ... coming from the grill (not the hood).  And the car smells a bit like gas.  However, the fuel injection system was overhauled or something and I figured what I saw was something spilled burning off.  I did not see steam when I went out again, so I am trying to set aside dire thoughts of sudden breakage.

The reduced maintenance was not the only good fortune today.  Sandra needed me to pick up a package that was to be delivered at her house, but it was not there by the time I came home.  Being so utterly drained, I dreaded venturing out again later.  Then, I heard Amos doing his UPS truck bark.  I asked the driver if her street was on his route and if he had been to it yet.  I told him her address and the origin of the package.  Since it was still on the truck, he brought it to me!  He's the one from the South who fusses over Amos (even though the fluffy white beast has a near apoplectic fit defending the porch from him), talks to me about missing the South, and takes a Ginger Ale from time to time.  I like that he trusted me to take her package and saved me having to go out again.

Dinner was a success, more so for the buttered Trader Joe's corn than the chalupas.  I prepared mild ones for my charge, using only refried black beans that I seasoned, grilled chicken, sour cream, and white cheddar cheese.  He ate two chalupas and two servings of corn.

To try and stay awake, I gave my wiggle-wart of a puppy dog a nail trim and a hair cut.  My charge giggled something fierce at seeing Amos race to the top of the couch and tuck all his paws beneath him at the sight of the nail clippers.  He is a smart wiggle-wart.

My charged asked for another fire, which I was happy to supply.  I think part of that was pride because I like how much adulation I receive from him for being able to light the fire, walk to the kitchen for ice packs, and walk back to a fully engulfed stack of logs.  I am a fire genius to my charge!

Marie texted that her experiment at homemade whole wheat dinner rolls were a wild success.  I texted back that the sourdough loaf I bought at Panera for the stuffing was mighty tasty.  I know this because I had to test one (or two or three or four) of the bread cubes as I was filling the bowl.  They are growing staler moment by moment.  Surely that is a good omen, right?

If I can keep myself awake, I thought I would try to make the Double Chocolate Dr Pepper Cake tonight instead of leaving it until tomorrow.  I still have nerves over making the stuffing, the garlic mashed red potatoes, and the gravy.  My friend Mary does feasts a lot (or has many under her belt), during which she prepares far more food in a greater and more complicated variety.  I wish I could channel some of her culinary brain cells on the morrow.

I was rather relieved when I asked my charge if he wanted me to wake him tomorrow or let him wake me when he was hungry.  He chose the former, but picked a time that is an hour later than his last Saturday visit.  Ten o'clock!  I get to sleep until 10:00 AM!!  Well, I will feed Amos around 5 as I usually do when I take medication, but I will get to sleep a bit more than I expected.

He would have no problem with me going back to sleep after I make him breakfast, but I wonder if I should just stay up and then crash once my guests are all gone tomorrow.  Of course, it is snowing at the moment and I fervently hope that the expected accumulation for tomorrow is not to great to ford with a CRV.

I still have to find a recipe for the sweep potato appetizer.  I would like to sauté them, I think.  I did find one recipe I liked, but it requires whisky.  While my spice selection has greatly improved, my hard alcohol selection is still woefully small ... as in only liquors.  I've a sweet tooth on all culinary fronts.

I do hope it actually is only one more day.  With the snow, my charge's mother might not make her connection through Chicago.  Child-sitting is exhausting!  I need copious amounts of sleep, less cooking. less dishes, less cajoling to keep to the schedule, and far, far, far less question answering.  I did have a total victory with the bath tonight.  He agreed that perhaps his armpits needed extra work this time and to apply the shampoo more thoroughly.  He came down all sweet and minty smelling, having brushed his teeth as well.  The ultimate victory, though, was that he did not leave a single light on upstairs this whole day!


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: