Tuesday, June 28, 2016

New tastiness...


I tried a new recipe today:  Chili Lime Grilled Chicken!




While the chicken breasts were marinating in lime juice and cilantro, I put together the rub.  I am not sure why I've never tried to make rubs before.  I think, mostly, the very thought of them intimidates them, but I know that Two Peas and Their Pod always post topnotch recipes.  This was no exception.

Since my Oxo sure grip zester makes the curls, I always mince my zest before using it.  Since I had to mince the garlic, I ended up mincing them together as finely as possible before I started putting the rest of the ingredients into the bowl.  As you can see, I still have some smaller chunks of garlic, but the end result was really, really, really great.




I've been having trouble with chicken sticking to the grill, so my friend Emily suggested I try Pam Grilling Spray.  I couldn't find it at the store and ended up bringing home the Crisco version.  The chicken definitely was not problematic come flipping time, so I suppose it helped.  Doesn't it look just lovely?

Why grill chicken?
For more salad, of course!




I am pretty tickled pink over how this turned out.  The chicken was moist and very flavorful.  I used my romaine lettuce, applewood smoked thick-sliced bacon bits, Trader Joe's corn, black beans, extra sharp cheddar cheese, and Hidden Valley Farmhouse Originals Southwest Chipotle dressing.

I wanted a totally different salad than I have been making lately.  This fit the bill and then some.  I am looking forward to eating the other three breasts of grilled chicken, though only two I plan for more Southwest Chicken Salad.  The other I am going to have chili lime grilled chicken tacos.  Mmmmmm!

I also found a new potato recipe I hope to try.  I say hope because I forgot to get the potatoes, so I have to remember those before I can try the recipe.  It is a mustard recipe.  I adore mustard.

Although I am rather sore from my fall yesterday and have remained quite distressed over messing up my medication this past week, once I dragged myself to the kitchen and began cooking, I was cheered by the process.  I do like exploring new recipes and I do like eating them!  I have fallen away from cooking since the new year, mostly trying to deal with life with dysautonomia and a pacemaker.  I would like to try and become a bit more regular with cooking again.

Yesterday, when texting me his meal from his extensive garden, my cousin told me that his lettuce stopped growing a month ago.  That made me even more thankful for mine and at first I felt honored by my crop.  But then I realized that he probably planted his a month before I planted mine.  So, it remains to be seen how much longer into STINKING HOT weather my lettuce will last.  He told me that the fact that my raised bed is in part shade helps (and I actually planted the lettuce in the shadiest part).  I also think the watering is helping.

I might sort of gripe about eating now nearly a month of salads, but I am rather thankful for the bounty.  I certainly could not have afforded this much lettuce.  And, if I may say so, I make rather  tasty salads!

I wonder if I will ever learn to make homemade dressings....

No comments: