Monday, June 27, 2016

Stupid me...


When we were little, we were not allowed to say the word "stupid."  I don't remember why, but we were not.  Still, I was rather stupid today.

It was 91 degrees when I set out to get some shopping done on this the first day of my budget cycle.  The temperature is to be 17 degrees lower on the morrow.  I cannot figure out why I did not go then.  Seven stops.  Probably about three too many.  Maybe four.

I did well with my shopping, budget-wise, but not memory wise.  I didn't get the lemons because Walmart did not have a single lemon (I had a $15 gift card for Walmart so that was my grocery store choice this time round).   I started off at Walgreen's where I bought graham crackers on sale.  When I am really nauseous, I oft nibble on these, bit by bit, so that I have carbs going in me and my blood sugar doesn't get too low.  Since Keebler stopped selling their Honey Graham crackers, I did a taste test of every generic brand I could try to find one close enough.  Walgreen's won.  Normally, I don't go to a store for just one item, but that was most of this day.

Then I headed up Jefferson to Fresh Market, in search of more vanilla paste, but they were still out.  Already planned, I bought a second of the insulated grocery bags they have.  Since I can put them over my shoulder, carrying in milk has just gotten immensely easier.  No more exceedingly painful pulling on my elbow joints.

Then, used my new-found short-cut between Jefferson and Illinois to pop over to Menard's, where I used rebate money, in part, to purchase more Nature Valley Granola bars.  They are cheaper there than even Amazon's Subscribe & Save program.

Then, back down Illinois to Target for a prescription and then across the parking lot to Lowe's for stakes for the very, very, very beleaguered new variegated Maple tree (I am worried I am going to lose it).  I probably should have stopped there, given that I spent time lying on the floor of Lowe's, much to the dismay of folk around me.

I turned off Illinois to head into Walmart, where I also lay on the floor for a while, back in automotive, where no one noticed.  Someone who was in my car folded my sun shield in half, breaking it.  Granted, it was something in the manner of 10 or 12 years old, but if it had not been bent, I could have nursed it a few more years.  So, that was one replacement item ear-marked in this month's groceries & household items budget because I am tired of a hot car.  I am a firm believer in using a reflective sun shield.

Then it was back down to Jefferson where I could head home, stopping for gas (and wanting to lie down again except I could smell gas everywhere) on the way.  I was soooooooooo glad I ran my tank to empty this time round because the gas was over 40 cents cheaper than my last fill-up.  Was that because of Brexit?

I tried. 
I really did.  
I tried resting. 

But that was not enough. I fell up the back porch steps, before then falling back down.I hit my head. I bit my tongue. I scraped my elbow. I put a hole and two runs in my compression stockings. And I totally, utterly ruined my black flowy skirt.  SIGH.

After all that, I realized that I forgot to put ginger ale on my shopping list. I am running VERY low on that ESSENTIAL item.  I also, for the third time, forgot to get a replacement propane tank at Lowe's.  The bothersome thing about the ginger ale is that Walmart is the most economical place for that and I am not interested in going back there and then going to Meijer's for lemons and then going to Lowe's for the propane after going all over the place (in a very economical driving loop) today.  

I received an email from the RN Care social worker that she set up an appointment for me on Friday.  So, I hope to just rest and rest and rest and rest and then try to fetch the missing things after I go meet the fourth team member on Friday to talk about counseling options (I am not real hopeful about this because my Medicare co-pay is $40 and that is simply not doable for me).  Still, my M.O. has been to try and respect the process of this program my GP nominated me for to see what helps might possibly come of it.  For example, if it is true that Pfizer changed income requirements, then getting Celebrex would be a significant help for me.  I have had a positive experience with the first three team members thus far, so I am hopeful about Friday's appointment, if not about its outcome.

What I liked about my shopping was that I did not buy a single thing not on my list.  I know I'll need more groceries before my budget month ends, but I did really, really well with my spending.  I still have $100 left in my budget, despite getting a higher number of household items than usual, and believe I can make it on half that.  So, that would give me money to pay toward the new mattress.

Which I still love.
So does Amos.
Immensely.

A scraped elbow really hurts.

No comments: