Sunday, July 17, 2005

Two Hours! Two hours of teaching a sixteen year old to drive!

What a saint I am, eh? No...not really. I actually find it a bit of an honor to teach her. I mean, her parents are trusting me not only with her current safety, but with that of her future.

I also find it a rather interesting exercise in communications. I have been her writing teacher for over four years. Sometimes, now, as we are working, I do not even have to speak in complete sentences to give her pointers or ask her to consider an idea. I start to speak and she leaps to where I am going in my direction. Right now, she is volunteering a bit at work. I set her to a complex task of formatting, searching and sifting, and organizing press files. When I envisioned her working on the task, I suspected that she would need little direction. I was right. I showed her some examples, opened the folders on the server, and set her to work. She exceeded my expectations and then some. All with so little verbal direction, because of our rapport and tacit communication skills.

But in driving, in teaching driving, there is no tacit language. I have to be direct and clear and literal about each action and reaction. Doing so is not as easy as it may seem...especially, since so much of my own driving takes place without thought. Ever vigilant to the dangers of the road, I nonetheless have the automaticity that comes with driving for over two decades. Now, I must think back to when I began and separate out each individual part of being a cautious and careful driver and find a way to share that with her that is clear and instructive to her.

She normally quite capable, so I was surprised to see her a bit nervous and fearful of learning a new skill. She has been hesitant. She is not fluid. Yet, she trusts me to instruct her now as I have in the past. Her parents trust me. I am working to honor that trust...and to create an atmosphere that is safe enough for her to take risks and learn without bringing harm to her, the vehicle, or anything else.

But the best part is that I get to share in this experience with her. I get to be with her as she takes the first steps toward true independence.

She is a remarkable young woman. Brilliant. A talented writer and musician. A truly analytical thinker. A curious mind.

For over four years, I have been privileged to watch her grow and learn in her literary craftsmanship. I am thankful to be a part of this, too.

No comments: