Friday, October 03, 2008

Kashi was examined by his vet, another consult, and the surgeon today. They agreed that the repair to the joint is holding. However, they also agree that the muscles in his leg have atrophied and there appears to be nerve damage--the reason why he is not using it and why it twitches and trembles at times, even when he is lying down.

The bottom line is that it is very possible Kashi will never regain full use of his leg. Without proper physical therapy (which he tends to object to in a very violent manner), there is no hope at all.

Long walks, forcing him to go slowly is primarily what he needs besides those exercises. However, I have been using my cane much of the past few days and long walks are not very easy for me.

The walking he did at B's house, especially on the areas with carpet, were helpful to him, but here at home he prefers to simply not use it. Short of carpeting my house, I am not sure what I can do.

No comments: