Thursday, October 02, 2008

Remember the problem with sitting on the floor? Well, apparantly, I can no longer bend over either.

Kashi needed a bath. He needed a bath before his surgery. He needed one before I went to visit B in July. He definitely needed one now. As a rule, I never really smell him--something I have recently learned is because he has a double coat. However, I can definitely smell him now. And, since he has another appointment with the vet tomorrow (his progress is dismal), I thought I would bit the bullet and give him a bath.

When I was wildly packing for the trip to B's for the Sugarland concert, I bemoaned the fact that I had not yet given Kashi his bath. B offered for me to give him one using her basement laundry sink. I should have taken her up on that offer.

Well, the bath was a disaster. There I was, bent over trying to simultaneously scrubbing his coat and keeping him out of the tub. This was all the more difficult because Kashi could not keep his footing with his bad leg and kept falling into the rising water, which then made him try to escape even harder. I hated seeing him fall again and again and again. I didn't have to for long.

The pain in my back started just moments after I put him in the tub and started wetting his coat. It grew with such intensity that I bloodied my lip while biting again the pain. Then, I was the one falling into the water. All thoughts on whether or not I could have drowned will not be visited, for fortunately after hitting the water face first, the way my body hit the edge of the tub made me land on the bathroom floor instead of remaining in the water.

Let me tell you, a wet dog running around after escaping from a tub makes quite a mess...a REAL mess!

I am still shaking, nearly three hours later.

Do you think the insurance company would understand why I need the Celebrex if I told them I can no longer bathe my dog?

No comments: