Friday, July 10, 2009

I threw caution to the wind today on the premise that since I finished the antibiotics yesterday, perhaps what has been bothering my stomach might have been knocked out in the process.

I threw caution to the wind and had a Fuji apple salad and a Dr. Pepper for lunch.

Much to my sorrow, I could not even finish the latter. My beloved drug of choice made me wretched ill. The meal did not stay down long, and I have had great waves of nausea wracking my body ever since. You know, I have not noticed any pattern of food that does not bother me. Nothing really tastes palatable. Nothing does not cause nausea.

~~~~
I am glad that today is Friday. Although I worked but two days this week, I believe it was one too many.

~~~~
From page 216 in the 24-part lesson book:

The Lutheran penitent should be taught to understand that in private confession and absolution, the Word of God is spoken directly to his personal need by his pastor. In the sermon, the Christian hears the "general absolution" preached to the whole congregation. But in private confession, he hears the Gospel preached specifically to him. Faith lives from that Word of God. That's why the Lutheran reformers retained private confession. It was to be thought of as a personal sermon for every penitent who knew before the pastor in confession. Luther emphasized that we should pay more attention to what God says to us through our pastor than what we say to God in our confession. Herein lies the great jewel of private confession: the word of the Gospel. To say that we have no need of private confession and absolution is to say that we have no sin, and therefore, no need for the Gospel.

The bit I pointed out to pastor was that bit about paying more attention to what is said to you during confession than what you are saying. Now, I was focused on the whole personal sermon part--who wouldn't welcome the Scripture being preached specifically to you? I certainly need it! Of course, Pastor D explained to me just why that bit was important: your confession is about sin, while what is being said back to you in absolution is the Gospel!

Another truth to savor is "Faith lives from the Word of God." The Word being made flesh in Christ. The Word being given in holy Scripture. And that word? The Gospel.

I believe I have written of this before, but if I have it bears repeating, even if only for myself. It seems to me the crucial difference between confessional Lutheran doctrine and the non-Lutheran churches I have attended is the emphasis on the balance of law and Gospel, who we are and what God has done for us. But Gospel is not confined to the cross or the New Testament. Instead, the Gospel is an ongoing salvation and forgiveness that God works in our lives even after we are believers in His Son Jesus Christ.

Tonight, I learned for the first time why it is that Lutherans call their liturgy the "Divine Service." I have never understood that title and felt foolish for asking. However, had I done so, I would have again seen that "right relationship" I mentioned yesterday.

Again, from the lesson book, page 70:

Christian worship is grounded in God's action toward us in Jesus Christ. For this reason, Lutherans have long called the chief service of Word and Sacraments the Divine Service. In the Divine Service, God serves the Christian. We respond to Him speaking our deepest need and feeding us with His very body and blood. We respond to Him with faith and thanksgiving.

It is Divine because once again--and properly so--God is doing the work, not us! He is saving us, forgiving us, blessing us. In the past, I have often heard it preached if the only reason you are coming to church is to get fed, then you ought to re-examine your reasons for being there. Translation: Your greatest objective ought to be working for the benefit for the church body. Is that not the very opposite of what I just typed? Now, I am not saying that service at church is not a much needed and valuable labor. What I am saying, probably rather clumsily, is that the purpose of our being there actually is to get fed because that is what God longs to do for us!

Christ did not endure the agony of crucifixion for Himself. Indeed, He willingly hung there for me and for you.

Were he here, I am sure that Pastor D would point out that ever since that first moment of creation, God has been giving to His children. Gospel has been there from the beginning. Every covenant was dependent upon Him, not man. All food and provisions and services come from Him. He fought battles. He established kings and kingdoms and destroyed whole nations. He raised prophets. All in an effort to finish His work in this world. There was and there is nothing that He has not already given to us and will give us again. He even gave His Son and then the Holy Spirit to that we might have life everlasting, so that we might believe. Why then, do we expect that He would ever, for even a moment, desire something different in our worship?

No comments: