Thursday, October 01, 2009

Thanks be to God that I finally fell asleep some time after 5:30 this morning and awoke in time for work with my headache oh, so blessedly more manageable.  I am actually thankful for the headache I have now.  I am thankful...

Pizza Man drove over to jump start my car and Bettina drove around with me (with the assistance of Sprint) while I charged up the battery.  So, it already was a better beginning, less pain and a rescue and the laughter of my friend.

But the true beginning came in the mercy of God in helping me wake up enough, with so little sleep after a such a long battle with great pain, so that I still had time to read from the Daily Treasury of Prayer. Such joy I found in that because one of Pastor's words for me last night was spoken in the Living Word this morning, deepening the lesson, extending the joy of forgiveness.

Lest you think I have neglected Bonhoeffer of late, I thought I would use this circuitious moment to share his thoughts on the blessing of morning prayer:

The entire day receives order and discipline when it acquires unity.  This unity must be sought and found in morning prayer.  It is confirmed in work.  The morning prayer determines the day.  Squandered time of which we are ashamed, temptations to which we succumb, weaknesses and lack of courage in work, disorganization and lack of discipline in our thoughts and in our conversation with other men, all have their origin most often in the neglect of morning prayer.


Order and distribution of our time become more firm where they originate in prayer.  Temptations which accompany the working day be conquered on the basis of the morning breakthrough to God.  Decisions, demanded by work, become easier and simpler where they are made not in the fear of men but only in the sight of God.  "Whatever your task, work heartily, as serving the Lord and not men" (Colossians 3:23).  Even mechanical work is done in a more patient way if it arises from the recognition of God and his command.  The powers to work take hold, therefore, at the place where we have prayed to God.  he wants to give us today the power which we need for our work. (64-65)

I can attest to this.  The gift my godparents gave me in the Treasury of Daily Prayer is truly indescribable.  It was not just the gift of a book.  It was the gift of the Living Word, of the heritage of my new church, prayers to both teach me and guide my day, and Liturgy.  Such treasure in truth!

Even so, the book is a wonderful tool to help you begin, live, and end your day bathed in scripture and situated in proper perspective:  that of being a child of a mighty God, who wills all things, directs all things, and accomplishes all things.

I told Bettina, as I drove around fervently hoping I had not ruined my car battery last night, that I think that I am ready to say good-bye to my hair.  Whether or not the situation be resolved before the lack of coverage becomes too severe,  I do find comfort in the fact that the Creator of the entire universe has numbered the hairs of my head, as Pastor so gently reminds me each time I weep with him over the loss.  I believe God has captured enough of my tears and want to trust that He shall be sufficient come what may. 

So, this morning, I braided my hair again.  Given its propensity to come away tangled in brush, comb, or fingers, I have avoided braiding, curling, or otherwise styling it.  However, if I am to lose it all, I should enjoy the length I have worked so hard to regain before it is gone.

My braids are so very thin, a fraction of what they once were.  Yet by the mercy of Christ I shed no tear.  Not that I think, should a wig become necessary, that tears would not come again, but in this day, in this moment, I was thankful for what I still have and truly marveled at the love of God so great that He would provide scripture that teaches how intimately involved He is in our lives.

I am baptized. I am forgiven.  And I am one whom God calls by name and declares, "You are Mine!"

No comments: