Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stop the presses!  Myrtle Bernice managed to turn on and use a chain saw without injuring herself, fainting, or otherwise incurring any danger or harm!

I called my writing student's father for some tool man advice.  He's got more saws than a body needs.  Surely he would know if a circular saw could be used while held sideways.  If you are interested, it can.  However, it doesn't really make for an effective cutting tool.  At least mine is not.  The diameter of the blade needs to be much, much larger.

After learning it was safe to try, trying, and then failing, I decided that I would simply try to start the chain saw...just to see what would happen.  There is a whole list of all these instructions on starting the thing.  And I admit that it took three times for me to get all the steps done correctly in the proper order.  However, I started my own chain saw!

I was right about using it being quick work.  In no time flat I got the tree trunk portion that was hanging over the fence back on my side.  Apparently when the chain catches as the weight of the limb being cut pinches back down on it (binds is the word Mr. P used), the saw kicks off.  So, I had to start it again.  But when it kicked off a second time, I took that as a SIGN that I should stop while I was ahead.

If someone were with me yesterday, I am sure I would have been advised NOT to pile the top branches of the tree in front of the fall trunk that still needs to be chopped up OR in front of the portion of the tree that remains precariously leaning against the phone and cable lines for the neighborhood.

I had not the energy to move the rather large pile of branches, so I took the SIGN and stopped work, grateful that no offending portions of the tree remained to vex my absent neighbors and that I had not further injured myself in the process.

It would be an massive understatement to say that I am sore today.  My arms, shoulders, back, and head are protesting just about every movement.  Each flare of pain shouts, "You are stupid, Myrtle.  Plain stupid!"

And yet, today, I also found myself painting my boss' bathroom.  Don't ask.  It is one thing, in my opinion, to offer her care and succor when she is ill because I cannot know Jesus and stand by and watch her in need; it is another thing to feel pressured to help her work on her home so as not to lose my job.  Am I splitting hairs?  I thought not once about my job whilst at the hospital with her.  My job was all I thought about when she asked me to help her with her home improvement project (I will also be hanging her bathroom light when she chooses the one she wants).  SIGH.

I had to work really hard to hide my grimaces whenever I raised my arm to paint near the ceiling.  I also had to work really hard to be patience and ready to do whatever she asked.  The up side is that she asked me, also, to take comp time tomorrow.  While I would rather save it for a possible Bettina cabin visit in March (hint, hint), I am so darned tired from working all week during the blizzard even whilst dealing with the snow...and then possibly not getting sufficient rest whilst Bettina was here...and then staying up nearly all night after talking into the wee hours of the morning.  I do not mind another day of rest given my tree and painting labors.  [The five loads of laundry are still unfolded, piled on the un-made bed downstairs.]

~~~~
I tried to talk to my nephew to celebrate his birthday today, having missed him for two days now.  His comments:  It's okay that your present came late.  But I can't talk.  I have to go watch the 'Lympicks.  The United States of America is coming down the mountain right now!

I think he was watching Bode Miller ski!

~~~~
Today I discovered another wonderful hymn:  O Love, How Deep (544)

O love, how deep, how broad, how high
Beyond all thought and fantasy,
That God, the Son of God, should take
Our mortal form for mortals' sake!

He sent no angel to our race,
Of higher or of lower place,
But wore the robe of human frame,
And to this world Himself He came.

For us baptized, for us He bore
His holy fast and hungered sore;
For us temptation share He knew;
For us the tempter overthrew.

For us He prayed; for us He taught;
For us His daily works He wrought,
By words and signs and actions thus
Still seeking not Himself but us.

For us by wickedness betrayed,
For us, in  crown of thorns arrayed,
He bore the shameful cross and death;
For us He gave His dying breath.

For us He rose from death again;
For us He went on high to reign;
For us He sent His Spirit here
To guide, to strengthen, and to cheer.

All glory to our Lord and God
For love so deep, so high, so broad;
The Trinity whom we adore
Forever and forevermore.

Today, I found the words for me as to why I find Lutheran hymnody so precious.  So often, I can pray in song what I cannot speak for myself.  So often, I can rejoice in Gospel, rather than remain in Law.  So, often, I find mercy and forgiveness.  Lutheran hymnody, so often, is for me.

~~~~
Pastor E today asked the question in his sermon:  Where are you most weak?  He was referring to the fact that Satan pounced when Jesus was weak from hunger.  I can immediately answer that question, which gave me great pause.  Then, he pointed out something so obvious I felt a fool for not reveling in the knowledge sooner:  Three times Christ answered Satan, It is written....  Funny, I had never really thought about the fact that Christ rebuked Satan, drove him off, with the Living Word.  What a double entendre there!

Would you, could you, understand in that one moment the bible became all the more precious to me?


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: