Monday, February 14, 2011

Introducing Amos...

Nothing makes sense like getting a new puppy dog when you are unemployed and ill.  But this warm lump of love cares only to snuggle as close as possible for as long as possible.

Today has been a big day for him.  Born December 2, 2010, he was away from his siblings, walked outside, rode in a car, met his new mom, saw birds, did his business outside, discovered snow, visited a pet store, and investigated his new crate--all for the very first time! 

Interspersed amongst those adventures were various naps, though it is evident I need some sort of squishing and draping mechanism is in dire need.  He is used to having five other small bodies tucked around him, a tangle of heads and tails and bodies and paws.  Thus far, if not on my chest, his favorite two spots are with his head tucked behind my back or squeezed between the pillow and the back of the couch. 

It has been 15 years since I had a puppy dog who was actually a puppy.  I truly do not remember all those sage lessons in potty training, discipline, and being the alpha dog.  I did, thankfully, remember how to trim nails as I am fairly sure his had never been clipped.  Flipped on his back, held close against my chest, Amos gave nary a protest while I trimmed his paws.  Since he has a tendacy to put a paw out against my chest as he tucks his head beneath my chin, it was immediately evident our relationship would begin better if his nails were not getting tangled in my hair and ripping it out.

So why Amos?  My writing student, Bettina, my sister, and my nephews all gave suggestions last night, once I knew Amos was coming to join me. I had a really odd name, which no one liked, and each offered an interesting choice, but in the end, I chose Amos because one of my favorite passages is from the ninth chapter of the book of Amos, verses 11-15:

"In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David,

And wall up its breaches;
I will also raise up its ruins
And rebuild it as in the days of old;


That they may possess the remnant of Edom
And all the nations who are called by My name,"
Declares the LORD who does this.


"Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD,
"When the plowman will overtake the reaper
And the treader of grapes him who sows seed;
When the mountains will drip sweet wine
And all the hills will be dissolved.


"Also I will restore the captivity of My people Israel,
And they will rebuild the ruined cities and live in them;
They will also plant vineyards and drink their wine,
And make gardens and eat their fruit.


"I will also plant them on their land,
And they will not again be rooted out from their land
Which I have given them,"
Says the LORD your God.


God has finished telling Israel about her captivity, the trials and tribulations to come, but then makes this promise...that one day...the riches of blessings will be so great that the mountains will drip sweet wine.  Can you imagine such a time?


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!



1 comment:

browneyedgirl said...

That is awesome! Amos is so cute!