Monday, March 07, 2011

From the other side...

Back in my Protestant days, many of the high school and college Sunday School classes addressed clothing, primarily talking with females about making proper clothing choices.  What we wore and how our choices were affected by movement of our bodies was a constant refrain. There was this one summer retreat where some college boys were brought in to tell us how males look at females, boys that we didn't know so everyone would feel free to have a frank conversation.  There was a basket passed around where people could write anonymous questions for the panel on slips of paper.

Set aside the fact that the bible was not being taught during Sunday School and that this was another part of teaching how your faith was strengthened and evidenced by what you do.  The admonition was important given what was becoming acceptable fashion.  Of course, by today's standards, our clothing was still remarkably modest, if not downright prudish.

Maybe I am just old-fashioned--yet another way I do not fit in this world--but, in my opinion, clothing should leave things to the imagination.  Much things.  I honestly do not know how mothers dress their daughters these days because the clothing I see in the stores for young girls is oft so provocative it turns my stomach.  Maybe that is simply because I know how many predators are out there.

However, I cannot recall a single clothing conversation where the males were also admonished about their clothing.  That was a grievous error in my opinion...that the topic was never addressed from the other side of the coin.

Men should wear belts.  If, for some reason, a belt is not worn, pants/shorts should be snug to the waist--the waist...most definitely not below the hips.  And always...always...underclothing should be worn.

There are millions...millions...of females out there who have been sexually abused.  For some of them, it is quite hurtful to witness the exposure of parts that should be otherwise covered due to slippage of pants/shorts.  Even by genuine accident.  Even when someone does not mean or intend for such exposure to happen, it can be profoundly hurtful.

I do not understand why men do not seem to be bothered by this.  Why it seems to be merely par for the course.  Twice in a few weeks it has happened in my presence.   Neither man apologized or gave any indication that they were bothered by the exposure.  Not even the one who serves as an elder in his church.

I simply do not understand.

No comments: