Thursday, March 31, 2011

Let sleeping dogs lie...

I am too tired to look up the etymology of that idiom, but I do know that when my precious puppydog is draped about me snoozing away, I certainly do not wish to wake him.  But sometimes I find myself doing that very thing.  Why?  Amos snores.

It is a bit disconcerting to awake with snuffling, gargling, and sputtering in your ear.  He is a rather noisy snorer.  Still, it is a small price to pay for the ineffable comfort Amos has been to me--potty training failures aside.

Speaking of sleeping, tonight I am sure to sleep well.  Why?  Well, I was doing laundry and the most brilliant of ideas came upon me.  You see, I long to sleep before the fireplace, but that would not be very comfortable and were I to actually sleep, I would not be awake to tend the fire to keep up that bit of comfort.

When I sleep, I wear blinders.  Thinking about the way I savor the smokey aroma about my hands when I have been tending the fire, I kept back one of my blinders from the drying rack down in the basement while doing laundry earlier and hung it on one of the handles of the fireplace screen.  In no time at all, it was dry...and smokey!

My hope is that the comfort of the fires might follow me in my dreams this evening.


O LORD, do not rebuke me in Thine anger,

Nor chasten me in Thy wrath.
Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am pining away;
Heal me, O LORD, for my bones are dismayed.
And my soul is greatly dismayed;
But Thou, O LORD--how long?

Return, O LORD, rescue my soul;

Save me because of Thy lovingkindness.
For there is no mention of Thee in death;
In Sheol who will give Thee thanks?

I am weary with my sighing;

Every night I make my bed swim,
I dissolve my couch with my tears.
My eye has wasted away with grief;
It has become old because of all my adversaries.

Depart from me, all you who do iniquity,
For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping.
The LORD has heard my supplication,
The LORD receives my prayer.
All my enemies will be ashamed and greatly dismayed;
They shall turn back, they will suddenly be ashamed.


~Psalm 6
(NASB 1977)


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: