Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A little at a time can turn out to be a lot...

I decided to take a photo of the second load of wood to remind myself that if you do something a little at a time, anything is possible.

Can you believe that I moved this wood from where it was dumped in the garage and stacked it on the porch?  Doing so saved me $10!

How much fire therapy do you think is in this pile?

Something that I need to learn:  Stop scheduling early morning contractor visits when there is no need to do so, when I am not working and thus would have to meet people before or after work.

Awaking at 8:00 AM is simply exhausting.  More and more and more I am amazed that my Good Shepherd brought to me a puppy dog who has no problem sleeping 10 hours or longer at night and then is more interested in snuggling in the morning than getting out of bed.  I can take my own sweet time rolling out of bed and putting my feet upon the floor (a rather painful experience).

Today, I had my first air-conditioning contractor visit.  I have another recommendation to schedule.  Perhaps I will managed to remember to set up an afternoon visit.

The contractor was quite kind and did not mind my 1,001 questions.  The sum of his visit is primarily what I expected.  Even a slightly oversized AC unit will have trouble cooling the second floor as cold as I would need it to be.

One option is to do two smaller units, with one in the attic controlling the second floor.  In that case, I would need to have holes cut in all the bedroom ceilings and in the hallway (return) and would have ducting sprawled about that lovely attic space.

A second option is to put in a ductless AC in my bedroom as supplemental cold air.  This might be a good fit, though more expensive, but I have qualms about doing something that would take away from the historic charm of the home.  He suggested over the window, but after he left I wondered if perhaps I could do it below the window.  I believe that would be less obtrusive and less disruptive to aesthetic appeal.  The upshot is that he would only need to bore a 3 inch hole to the outside and so the room could be restored quite easily.

Both the construction company owner who came to evaluate the hole in the wall from the pipe repair and the HVAC contractor told me that my home was not breathing properly.  This is because the attic vents were blocked with foam.  The first man plucked out the round pieces in three vents and the second contractor noticed a fourth vent that had been missed.  Part of the AC installation will be an attic vent to help draw out warm air.  Right now, with the vents open, the second floor is a bit nippier...a state conducive to my better health achieved not by freezing the birdies living on the first floor!

The nervous Nelly part of me is already worried the AC installation is going to be more expensive than I budgeted.  However, there simply is no real option to avoid this expense.  I did think that if I go with the small unit for my bedroom, this summer I could just sleep on the couch and purchase the second unit next Spring. 

Decisions.  Every day turns up another decision that needs making when I wish for time to just be, to just exist.  However, like the wood pile, if I try to tackle things a little bit at a time, even a mountain can be moved.

Speaking of mountains, I've been thinking a lot about mustard seeds.  I have always been taught that I only have to have a small amount of faith and I can move a mountain.  My faith.  However, I wonder if the proper explanation is not over the size comparison so much as it is whose faith comprises the mustard seed.  That small smidgen of my faith would never, ever move a mountain.  But a mustard seed of Christ's faith could move mountains, drain oceans, shift a river.



Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: