Saturday, January 14, 2012

Is there a happy medium...

In the past six nights, I have had three migraines, three unbearable headaches, one scary episode of very low blood sugar, and one miserable episode of low blood pressure. Much of these nights also included trembling, sweating, nausea, and/or vomiting. In case you were wondering, I have not yet discovered the secret of being a suffering saint. I am wondering, at this point, if there is a happy medium between a godly example of a suffering saint and the disgrace of a miserable, wretched faithless sinner.

I have not had a nap in seven days either, so I am more exhausted than words can describe. I would proffer that I have done more work in the past seven days than in the past seven weeks. But perhaps that is a slight exaggeration.

Because my life is still that wild roller coaster ride, in the past few days, Amos fell down the full length of the main staircase and my visitor's tiny puppy was crushed in a very bad fall. Thankfully, it seems that she is going to survive.

Should I add that one trip to the emergency vet hospital meant a long slippery slide on snowy streets? Or perhaps I should mention that tonight I tried to commit puppy murder by hypothermia with a snow and ice encrusted Amos resulting from an insistence that he accomplish something outdoors his body was not yet ready to do? He seems to have forgiven me.

These days I'm actually in need of copious amounts of forgiveness. And grace. And mercy. SIGH.

Because I've been on my poor foot so much trying to be at least a decent host, Monday night I was in such agony that I broke down and purchased the better walking cast from Amazon.com. The progress in the healing of my foot had actually regressed some, with bits that shouldn't be moving starting to move around again and the aforementioned pain. While the jury is still out regarding the new walking cast, I will say that my foot is more stable than it has been since I smashed it back in September. Perhaps there is hope for my poor appendage, but I am fairly sure the light at the end of the tunnel is still a far ways off.

I would be remiss if I did not add that in the past five days I also had some delicious food, some generous help with cleaning, and some thoughtful additions to making my abode homier.

All in all, if you were to give me a report card on my current attempt at having a guest, I would probably receive a big fat F. I simply don't know how to rest and eat the way that I need to do so in order to deal with a body whose warranty has so obviously expired and still feel like I am being a proper host. I guess I need an instruction booklet on how to accomplish that successfully. Well, a booklet and probably many moons of study and practice. And sticky notes about the house. And several reminder timers in my iPod. SIGH.


I am Yours, Lord. Save me!

2 comments:

ftwayne96 said...

Most mediums are oppressed by the spirits they claim to conjure up and are therefore unhappy. It is rather rare to come upon a happy medium.

ftwayne96 said...

We think you would be a fine hostess, and intend to put you to the test sometime by the year 2053. Seriously, we hope to get up there to see you sometime later this year. And we all need copious amounts of forgiveness, mercy, and grace.