Tuesday, April 08, 2014

A taste of honey...


So, Mary, being ever so gracious, gave me an overview of what I missed last night not understanding about dry bones.  Actually, the 37th chapter of Ezekiel is rather interesting and incredibly fascinating from a this-is-what-Jesus-is-going-to-do perspective.  Mary told me the story and then, later, I went back and read the passage (1-14) again.

Being me, I then thought that I should read the whole book of Ezekiel.
Just a few verses into chapter one, I am lost.
Should I even keep reading if such Words are completely over my head?

When is the last time that you had honey on your tongue?  I mean, just honey?  If you haven't recently, if you have not tasted that exquisite explosion of sweetness that envelops your being, makes all else pale in comparison to that moment, and lingers on your tongue long after the honey has been swallowed, do it now.  Seriously.  Right now.  Go eat a dollop of honey.


Then He said to me, “Son of man, stand on your feet that I may speak with you!” As He spoke to me the Spirit entered me and set me on my feet; and I heard Him speaking to me. Then He said to me, “Son of man, I am sending you to the sons of Israel, to a rebellious people who have rebelled against Me; they and their fathers have transgressed against Me to this very day.  I am sending you to them who are stubborn and obstinate children, and you shall say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God.’  As for them, whether they listen or not—for they are a rebellious house—they will know that a prophet has been among them. And you, son of man, neither fear them nor fear their words, though thistles and thorns are with you and you sit on scorpions; neither fear their words nor be dismayed at their presence, for they are a rebellious house.  But you shall speak My words to them whether they listen or not, for they are rebellious.

“Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house. Open your mouth and eat what I am giving you.” Then I looked, and behold, a hand was extended to me; and lo, a scroll was in it. When He spread it out before me, it was written on the front and back, and written on it were lamentations, mourning and woe.

Then He said to me, “Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel.” So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. He said to me, “Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you.” Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.

Then He said to me, “Son of man, go to the house of Israel and speak with My words to them. For you are not being sent to a people of unintelligible speech or difficult language,but to the house of Israel, nor to many peoples of unintelligible speech or difficult language, whose words you cannot understand. But I have sent you to them who should listen to you; yet the house of Israel will not be willing to listen to you, since they are not willing to listen to Me. Surely the whole house of Israel is stubborn and obstinate.  Behold, I have made your face as hard as their faces and your forehead as hard as their foreheads. Like emery harder than flint I have made your forehead. Do not be afraid of them or be dismayed before them, though they are a rebellious house.” Moreover, He said to me, “Son of man, take into your heart all My words which I will speak to you and listen closely. Go to the exiles, to the sons of your people, and speak to them and tell them, whether they listen or not, ‘Thus says the Lord God.’” ~Ezekiel 2:1-3:11 



Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth!

How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth! ~Psalm 119:103

Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth!!

O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! ~Psalm 34:8

Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth!!!


How wild is that?  Ezekiel is eating the Word of God and tastes it as if he had eaten honey!  Also, how weird and wild is it that the Word of God was placed in his mouth and now, in the Lord's Supper, the Living Word is placed in our mouths?

I have had folk make ... comments ... about my tendency to write, especially in things for public, the words "sweet, sweet Gospel."  I hear that we don't really need two instances of that adjective.  But also that we do not even need one.  Only, for me, I get the honey.

When I hear the Living Word, when it falls upon my ears and the Holy Spirit works it into my being, it is as honey.  That explosion of flavor that envelops my being, makes all else pale in comparison to that moment, and lingers long after it is gone.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

2 comments:

Mary Jack said...

:) Yay for sweet, sweet Gospel.

But I hope you won't be hard on yourself for having difficulties with Ezekiel. It's one of those books where Israelite men had to be older than thirty before they could read it. Which is to say it isn't a generally read book for a number of reasons.

Myrtle said...

So, since I am not an Israelite man, Mary, I won't be able to read it??

I could not figure out chapter one at all, but I did like 2 and 3. Even if it makes no sense, I think ... I think ... I would like to finish it.