Friday, April 25, 2014

Repentance Homework (Matthew 16)...


Matthew chapter 16.  SIGH.  I am not really understanding this chapter or how it relates to repentance.  I suppose it is a good thing that I have catechesis on Monday?  I have not a single cohort thought as to any sort of summary or overview of the chapter, but I do have lots and lots and lots of questions:


  • What in the world is the sign of Jonah?  Being swallowed by a giant fish? (4)
  • I am not sure why seeking a sign equals an evil and adulterous nation?  I think I remember lots of Old Testament folk wanting signs.
  • Just as the idea of the literal and metaphorical uses of honey in the bible, I am curious about the use of bread, especially thinking about how Jesus is the bread of life.
  • Whilst I understand the notion about leavening, what I find interesting is just how ... dense ... the disciples seem to be.  I cannot imagine the pressures they faced with all the folk longing to be taught and those longing to bring Jesus down.  However, so often, they simply do not understand what he was teaching.  I have heard that this was because His disciples did not yet have the Holy Spirit and I have heard the exact opposite.  I am not sure which is right.  What I do know is that, sometimes, Jesus' disciples come across as ... a tad clueless. (5-12)
  • Why did people think that Jesus was an Old Testament person of faith come back?  Was that something that was cultural or from some reference in the Old Testament? In the Old Testament, when there were folk teaching or prophesying, did people ask who they were come again?  Or, by the time of Jesus' ministry, were there no more prophets?  Was that why folk were puzzled by and flocked to John the Baptist, why he was sent to prepare the way for Jesus?  (13-15)
  • Someone (who ... I cannot remember) recently asked me who Jesus was.  When I answered, that person said my answer was evidence of faith, because I could not speak such without the Holy Spirit. Maybe I am relaying that wrongly or not remembering rightly.  But I get confused because the demons knew who Jesus was ... acknowledged him ... yet they had no faith.
  • I simply cannot read verse 18 without hearing Sandi Patti's voice singing "Upon This Rock." 
  • Why did Jesus tell them not to let others know He was the Christ? (20)
  • Just how quickly was it that Peter went from being the rock upon which the church would be built and being a stumbling block to Jesus?  (21-23)
  • My Bible has a title for this section: the cost of discipleship.  I think that is very clear.  (24-27)
  • I do not really understand what verse 28 is about.  At all: “Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”


If repentance is contrition and faith, where is the teaching about repentance in this chapter?  Or am I missing something connecting chapter 16 back to chapters 3 and 4?

I really, really, really wish I could erase all the ex-evangelical thoughts that fill my head each time I start reading the Bible ... especially those from the New Testament.  For I could write a nice little post about all the Life Application rebuke in here, all the things I am supposed to be doing to live a life as a good Christian, as a result of reading this chapter.  SIGH.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: