Saturday, May 23, 2015

Moaning and groaning...


I've been whimpering my way through a few chores, because I remembered that when I am in great agony after over working moving helps a bit.  Moving and lots and lots and lots of pain medicine and lots and lots and lots of resting.  So, I am mid-way through three loads of laundry, mostly because I burst into tears last night when I finally got up to my bedroom and realized that, with both a clean puppy and a clean puppy momma, the bed needed clean sheets.  Yes, I chose the botanical bliss ones.

Puppy bath towels, painting clothes, cleaning rags, sheets, and a week or so of my lounge pants and pajamas.  One drying, one washing, and one waiting.  That means three more trips up and down the basement stairs after already making two trips.  I wish I could teleport.

Because I am just that kind of a Nutter, I moved the rocking chair, table, recycling bin, and grill back where they belong on the back porch. I had moved them all to the back center against the wall for easy access to the railing.  I think that Firewood Man is coming to mow today.  He would have moved them all back for me.  But a couple of days of a lack of visual rest on the back porch was all I could bear.  I did rest in the GREEN rocking chair for a while after that spate of labor and soak in the loveliness of the painted railing.

That porch restoration project has dragged on and on and on.  I need it to be done, but there are still many tasks waiting:


  • Replacing the bowed balusters on the stair railing (Firewood Man)
  • Priming those balusters
  • Painting the stair railing
  • Cleaning the white wood paint off the paint brushes
  • Getting a good match for the house red and buying that paint
  • Cleaning the wood trim of the transom above the back door
  • Painting a final coat of house red on the stair sides, the stair risers, the facsia, and the window and door trim
  • Cleaning up the red house paint off the paint brushes
  • Painting the porch ceiling and outer trim (Firewood Man)
  • Buying a light stain for the back step treads so as to lessen the contrast of brand new deck board with the 95 year old wood on the back porch
  • Lightly sanding the treads
  • Staining the treads
  • Buying new disposable brushes for sealing
  • Power washing (Firewood Man) the front and back porches
  • Sealing the front and back porches


Are you now exhausted, too?

Since the overnight low is 54, I changed my mind and am risking the giant spotted begonias.  Hopefully, given that the solarium was at least 54 degrees over the summer, that the 4 degrees over the absolute low the begonias can stand will be enough to keep the leaves from being zapped.  Changing my mind meant moving all the plants and baskets back out on the front porch today instead of tomorrow.  I moaned and groaned and whimpered my way through the chore, but I am so very ... thankful ... for the visual rest now back in my foyer and dining room.

Now one load is folded, one load is drying, and one load is washing.  Amos is fed.  I'm fed.  I am now thinking a nap in is order............

No comments: