Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Prescription brouhaha...


One a wretchedness scale of 1-10, 10 being a most wretched day, I rarely have a day less than 5.  [Have I mentioned that I hate my body?]  So, when I do have one that is a fairly okay day, I tend to over do when it comes to tasks about the house.

For example, Sunday, I made the broccoli soup and moved the first set of plants from the solarium to the front porch, which should have been all that I did.  But, instead, I stripped the bed, remade the bed, did three loads of laundry, ran the dishwasher, emptied it, took out all the trash, emptied the back porch recycling bin into the one in the alley, cleaned my bathroom, updated my budget and medical spending spreadsheets, bathed Amos, and bathed myself.  All that productivity was great, for someone who ... lately ... oft despairs of just how small her life has become, the lonely figure languishing in enduring wretchedness and doing little else.

Yesterday, then, all I did was rest.
And worry.

I got a call from my new doctor's office about the erythromycin prescription, questioning the need for it.  That was because the pharmacist called the doctor's office to tell them it was denied by my insurance company and I needed an alternative antibiotic for whatever infection I had.  I called the doctor's office.  I called the pharmacist who then said I needed a new authorization because my doctor changed.  I called the insurance company, who said that they clearly explained to the pharmacist that the medication was being denied because she was filling it from a manufacturer that is not contracted with Medicare.  I called the pharmacist back.  She told me Target's distributor had changed manufacturers and she doubted they could still get the drug for me.  Target is my authorized pharmacy.  So she said she would try and order the medication but wouldn't know if it would be filled by the distributor until tomorrow.  I ended up with a migraine, worrying about life without erythromycin, since the only manufacturer that the pharmacist said she could fill was going to be all cash and an additional $300 (over $700 each month), making the single mediation almost as much as everything together originally was.

Today, I learned from my regular pharmacist that the correct medication had been ordered and will be here tomorrow.  That migraine was for nothing.  SIGH.

The key to the brouhaha:  It was a replacement pharmacist.  At least once of my prescriptions is always becomes problematic when a replacement pharmacist is on duty.

So, once more, I am languishing post migraine, worried that the good news will trigger another one.  [Have I mentioned that I hate my body?]  I do need to vacuum today, since someone is stopping by tomorrow for a computer lesson.

I sure do wish Amos could learn how to use the Dyson..........

No comments: