Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Rolling in the dough...


I think I would be in trouble if ever I looked at Craigslist as a place to shop.  However, early yesterday evening I had great selling success.  I sold all four lots of the arrowheads that my brother sent me to sell for him and I sold this antique silver wrist cuff that was in the box of arrowheads.  I kept the silver war bullets, the geodes, and the fossil that were also in the box.  My brother decided to mail me everything and asked if I could get it sold to send him back half the money.

The arrowheads were a tricky thing. I thought that my dividing them into four lots and including a stone skinning knife in each lot was a good idea ... especially given that there were four stone skinning knives.  I sold them all to one person.  Six others wanted them and six others kept trying to knock money off the price, but even though I caved, none of them followed through.

Then, this lovely gentleman from Michigan, a war vet, called me on his rotary phone and asked if the arrowheads were still available.  My brother decided that his cut of the sale, $30 could be a birthday present ... or prescription money.  Really prescription money.  But I like to think of it as an early birthday present.

While I was waiting for the man to arrive, I decided to start working on polishing the blackened wrist cuff—I think it is Egyptian—because I was nervous about having a stranger in the house for the arrowhead inspection prior to sale.  Anyway, when the man arrived, he saw the cuff and salivated.  But I really didn't think anything about it.  We talked arrowheads, he taught me many things about what I was selling, and gladly forked over the $60.

When he mentioned that he collected coins, I got out the meager collection I had, wondering if I could sell any of it. I was asking his opinion.  But the man told me what I had, picked out what was truly valuable for me to keep, and then said he would give me $40 for the rest, which was, I am most certain, a bit generous on his part.

Then, as I was carefully packing up his purchases, since I have all those recycled mailing supplies, he casually asked if I would care to sell the cuff.  I had not discussed it much with my brother, having not yet figured out what it might be worth.  If nothing else, being solid silver, I thought I could sell it that way.

The vet pulled out a much folded $100 from his wallet, a rather empty wallet at this point.  I was a tad worried, because he still had a road trip back home.  However, I thought that even if I were to sell the cuff online for a bit more, I would have shipping and listing fees or, worse, an auction house fee.  I figured my brother would want the money.

My goodness, was that vet ever happy.

The most surprising moment was when the vet was talking about collecting and then strayed into telling me about his father dying.  Tears filled his eyes and he started weeping.  My scared little fluff ball immediately hopped down from his perch on the couch and scampered over to the vet's chair.  He stood on his back legs and then leapt into the vet's lap to wipe his tears away.  Amos is always sensitive to folk who weep.

I am so very blessed with my sheepgoatratbastardpuppydog.

After the vet left on his rather long trip back home, I promptly wrote a check to my brother for his $50 and then started dreaming of 1,001 ways that I could spend my cut of his sale and my coin money.  Incidentally, the cardiologist visit will be $50.  So, right there, the antique silver cuff money went poof! in my mind.  And I had to order a water filter for the refrigerator this week.  There went the arrowhead money.  And, truth be told, while I have vowed not to buy myself anything for my birthday, having spent money this Spring, I really want a good robe.  The one I want is backordered and keeps get moved later in the summer as to being in stock, so my coin money is really kind of spoken for.

I sure do wish I could sell those Harry Potter books.  Now that would be a chunk of funds off which I could sliver funds for a meal at, perhaps, Panera Bread.  What is wrong with folk that they are not pushing and shoving each other to snap up my set of hardcover Harry Potter books??????

The Narnia books have not sold yet either.  A puzzle.  But I think I know where they will be going if not sold by a certain time.  The Harry Potter books are staying up until they're sold ... even if it takes until next Christmas.

I sort of wish there were more things to sell around here ... things I am willing to let go.

Anyhow, Amos conquered his fear of the stranger right quick (no barking past the crossing of the threshold and a few tentative pant sniffs.  I got to show off my meteorite, since the vet noticed my rock, mineral, and fossil collection.  And I was left rolling in the dough ... albeit temporarily ... by the end of the visit.

Does all that selling excitement in the early evening yesterday still count as resting????????????

No comments: