Friday, February 03, 2017

Tastiness...


I have learned a few new recipes that have added to my general store of tasty recipes.  Although, at the moment, I do not have the next recipe up for trial.  Strange that.  I need one!

A while ago, Keebler stopped selling their Honey Grahams.  At first, I couldn't find them in the store, but I could online.  Then, I couldn't find them online.  So, I have tried graham crackers from the stores around me.  CVS, Walmart, Target, Walgreen's, Menard's, Meijer, and Kroger.  Frankly, I did not really like any of them.  Walgreen's is the best, but also the most expensive.  The least expensive is the brand at Menard's, but it is also the least tasty.




Then, I got the idea of trying to make my own honey graham crackers and hit a home right on the first swing!  The taste is great, whether you make them crispy or a bit soft.  I did change on how I got them ready to bake because many of the reviewers of the recipe said the dough was sticky and hard to roll out.  I decided to just slice the dough, since it is refrigerated.  The second tray, I actually froze the dough for a while.  I still have half the dough and look forward to having more homemade graham crackers, even if they are a bit oddly shaped.




Pati Jinich's newsletter had a scrumptious looking recipe for pomegranate short rib tacos.  I bought all the ingredients for them, but the short ribs.  I went to three stores and called two more.  I also went to one meat shop and called a second butcher.  I don't think that my city has them.  I really wanted to try the recipe, so I decided to do so using the pork sirloin I use when making Spicy Dr Pepper Pulled Pork.  Basically, I made Pomegranate Pulled Pork.




Just look at the inside of the lid on my dutch oven!  Tasty, though.




Of course I wanted to make the tacos!  The original recipe calls for an avocado mash/guacomole.  But I got the idea to try the tacos with goat's milk cheese. That set me to thinking about the avocado and I finally came up with the idea of trying an avocado dressing of some kind.  I ended up with an avocado cream.




I made the tacos using my blue corn flour tortillas.  Man!  They were so very tasty!  I had them the next day on the Texas flour tortillas.  Both were tasty.  I will have to try them again each way before knowing which I prefer.  Once.  Twice.  Maybe thrice more and I might know!

I did try one more recipe, but I did not quite get it right, so I want to try again before posting.  It is eggs baked in hash browns.  Mmmm.  Even though I did not get them crispy enough, I still enjoyed eating them.  Hopefully, the second time will the a charm.

No comments: