Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A first harvest...


Today is the day that I would have stepped up another 1/4 dose on the saliva drug (pilocarpine).  But it is a day that has had me battling exhaustion the entire day.  I was able to get up and take Amos outside, but soon thereafter, I found myself struggling to stay awake again.  So, I napped.

It wasn't until after 5:00 PM that I could manage to get up and try to move some.  I fed Amos and then forced myself to go down to the treadmill.  I wanted to then go nap some more, once I cooled down, but I had harvested my first eggplant before walking so that I would then be forced to cook some dinner.




I Googled when to harvest and learned that you don't want them to get ripe, because ripe eggplant is inedible.  I also read that smaller ones are rather tasty.  Since I am the only one here, I thought this one-serving sized eggplant would be a good trial harvest.





I dipped the slices in milk and egg and then in seasoned flour and sautéed them in olive oil.  I used some of my homemade ranch dressing as a dipping sauce.  The Internet was right.  Young eggplant is divine.  It practically melted in my mouth.  I look forward to eating the other nine eggplants that are growing at the moment!

The dishes washed, I collapsed on the sofa again.  I wonder if the predinsone is a factor in my exhaustion or if it is merely a combination of having both Dysautonomia and Sjögren's.  I want to say that the two medications have something to do with my excessive napping, but I do not feel drowsy all the time.  By that I mean, if I nap, then I awake a bit refreshed and am able to get up and do things much of the time, for a little bit, before needing to nap again.

But then there are days like today where I am so very bone deep exhausted that nothing helps but lying down.  Heck, I am so very weary that reading and streaming is too much effort!

The thing is ... Becky and her entire family will be here in just three days!  I haven't cleaned, not that they expect much.  Nor have I fetched groceries.  I worked out meal options with Becky and spent the whole day trying to work on a shopping list.  No, not a single item has been written down yet.  SIGH.

I cannot wait to see them.  I haven't seen her children in years, and I haven't seen her beloved since I moved.  I like Gary.  He's witty and kind and really, really intelligent.  I have missed visiting with him.

I sure hope I can stay awake for their visit!

No comments: