Friday, September 22, 2006

I helped my writing student's mother put down a new floor in the basement computer room project. We used four different colors of industrial style Armstrong floor tiles. I had worked out a few patterns, and the kids modified one to make a truly spectacular pattern. It changes from every angle. There are two main four-tile patterns. However, they create diagonal linear patterns in cross directions. And from yet another direction, you can see alternate four-tile patterns. I suppose it is just another sign of the genius that breeds in that family!

apparently, after a first run, I turned out to be quite skilled in applying adhesive in the sweeping, grooved manner needed for the installation. I wonder...do you think I could get a job installing vinyl tiles?

Once the floor was in, it brightened up the room even more. With between the wall colors and the floor, it is quite cheerful in there. Gee, I would like to do my homework in that space!

When installing this type of floor, you have to put down the adhesive and then allow it to set-up for a while. So, we installed the floor in sections. Since, as aforementioned, my first stab at swapping the deck was not quite ideal, we ended up letting it set-up for three times as long as it should have taken. The second two sections only took the requisite time to cure. So...what do you think we did while waiting in between sections?

Yes, you guessed it! We played Texas Hold 'Em poker.

And...drum roll please...I WON!

WS's mom took over for the 12 year-old, but she was knocked out of the game a short while later. Now...don't snicker at me...at that point I was playing with the six-year-old and the nine-year-old. As the six-year-old who was dealer, big blind, small blind, or first to act and she would promptly answer your question. Ask her what beat what, and she will consult her list and tell you (although she does call two-of-a-kind "matches). It was a while before I over took the nine-year-old who held the chip lead. It was a long time later that I finally was up enough to start playing the "chip bully" and dwindle down their piles via the blinds.

I am constantly amazed at how quickly those kids pick up strategy and employ critical thinking and deductive reasoning in EVERY new game we play. It is an honor, actually, to see their fine minds at work. I do revel in playing with them...if only because I revel in seeing kids employing those valuable skills while they are playing games and enjoying themselves.

And...I like winning...too bad I cannot seem to find a way to combine playing with them and winning on a regular basis.

I guess we cannot have our cake and eat it, too...

No comments: