Monday, September 04, 2006

While I only had 400 ml of water in the jar I set out for the storm and not a single branch fell to the ground, I lost power. Only a small strip of homes were out of power when there where large outages, so we were pretty far down the list of where to send crews. I lost power for over two days just after I bought groceries for practically the entire month of September. I tried to save them by putting ice in both parts of the refrigerator after the first day, but it was too late for the milk, eggs, and a lot of other food I had purchased.

The day before, I had learned that hundreds of dollars in my medical spending account was being returned the company since the claims for them did not occur before my last day of work. I was stunned to learn that that my claims were being denied.

I specifically asked about those funds once I learned I was losing my job. I specifically asked the HR assistant if I could continue to file claims when I no longer worked for the organization. She said, yes. So, I reconfirmed the answer by saying, "So I don't have to rush out and spend the money?"

She laughed and replied, " Like you did with those contacts [I had extra money at the end of one year.]? No, you don't."

I asked her about it a third time because I wanted to know how I would get the money if I was no longer getting a paycheck. I asked her, "When I file a claim, say in October, will the money come directly from ___ [the medical account company]?"

She replied that it would still go through the payroll/paycheck company.

At the review of the termination paper work--which did not include any information on the medical spending account in the insurance section--I said that the assistant said that I could still file claims after I no longer worked for the company. She said that was right, that I had 90 days after the end of the year to file claims just as I did the years before. The plan documentation given to employees, the deduction agreement, the staff orientation, and the termination packet do not mention the fact that you lose the money in your account after you leave the organization.

Learning that my claims were no longer valid and the money would be returned to the organization, I asked for the organization to send me a check for the balance of my account, but my ex-boss refused, effectively keeping my money despite the fact the company failed to communicate this caveat to the plan, even when someone like me went out of the way to ensure the money in the account was still safe after leaving. I could have gone out and purchased contacts and supplies and dozens of other covered items as a stockpile to still utilize the investment I made, but I was told not to do so. I mean, really, what person would put up to $3,000 in an account that he/she could loose if terminated, something that can happen at any time without any warning? That information should have been made just a clear as the "use-it-or-lose-it" caveat of the plan. Frankly, this is just another way that this particular non-profit fails at intellectual honesty and ethical practices, effectively taking profit off its employees.

This financial blow was followed by the loss of the groceries.

I also discovered that my alarm system is no longer working after the power outage. When I called Brinks, I learned that I would have to pay for a technician's visit and the new equipment...most likely $250.

More bills right and left and no job.


I need a prescription for a stiff upper lip or stronger boot straps or something...

No comments: