Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Today In History is a feature on www.msnbc.com that I like to read because I just frankly like history. Reading historical fiction is really what sparked my interest. You see, both professors of the two history courses I had in college did not believe that women belonged in higher education.

I know, it sounds unbelievable for the mid 1980's, but that is really how it was. I would ace the objective portion of tests and fail the essay portion. Yes, me...the writer...would get very low scores. Having five paragraph essay answers with topic sentences, supporting details, and content from the course did not matter. Each time, I would ask for an appointment with the professor to discover what was wrong with the essay. He would rattle off facts that needed to be included, and in somewhat disbelief, I would point out that they were in my answer. He would tell me not to worry and try harder next time. No matter what I did, I could not excel in the "subjective" portion of those tests. I wasn't alone in being discriminated against. One day in class, the professor actually had the gall to say that the reason that McDonald's existed in society was so that "black" people could have jobs. I literally saw the hair raise on the back of the neck of the guy in front of me. He was African-American.

Of course, I am saddened to say that at 18 I had not the courage to confront that professor or stand against his prejudices other than to offer my friendship to that young man who was filleted in class without regard for his humanity. I had no voice then.

So, I really cared not for history after those two classes and having had coaches as history teachers in high school who were not much interested in what was being taught. That is, I was cared not for it until I read my first historical fiction book in my children's literature course. I became fascinated with learning more about what life was like in years past and read and read and read. Scott O'Dell's Sarah Bishop will absolutely change the way you look at the revolutionary war.

I have a few of my grandmothers' antiques and a few collected along the way. Someone once gave me a bible from 1836 not because he knew I was a Christian, but because it was the year Texas became a republic. I hold the bible and think of the hands it passed through before mine. What were those owners like? Was it merely a book to them or the Word of God, author of their salvation? I have some old coins and wonder how they were spent over the years. Each bit of history I own fascinates me as to the life it lived.

Years later, I see something about history on the Internet and click on it. Thus, we come back to the "Today in History" section.

Here is the one from today:


Today's Highlight in History:

On Sept. 5, 1774, the first Continental Congress assembled in Philadelphia.


On this date:


In 1793, the Reign of Terror began during the French Revolution as the National Convention instituted harsh measures to repress counterrevolutionary activities.

In 1836, Sam Houston was elected president of the Republic of Texas.

In 1905, the Treaty of Portsmouth, ending the Russo-Japanese War, was signed in New Hampshire.

In 1914, the First Battle of the Marne began during World War I.

In 1939, the United States proclaimed its neutrality in World War II.

In 1945, Japanese-American Iva Toguri DÂ?Aquino, suspected of being wartime broadcaster Â?Tokyo Rose,Â? was arrested in Yokohama. (DÂ?Aquino was later convicted of treason and served six years in prison; she was pardoned in 1977 by President Ford.)

In 1972, Arab guerrillas attacked the Israeli delegation at the Munich Olympic games; 11 Israelis, five guerrillas and a police officer were killed in the siege.

In 1975, President Ford escaped an attempt on his life by Lynette Â?SqueakyÂ? Fromme, a disciple of Charles Manson, in Sacramento, Calif.

In 1986, 21 people were killed and dozens wounded after four hijackers who had seized a Pan Am jumbo jet in Karachi, Pakistan, opened fire when the lights inside the plane failed.

In 1997, Mother Teresa died in Calcutta, India, at age 87; conductor Sir Georg Solti died in France at age 84.


Ten years ago: Russian President Boris Yeltsin acknowledged he had serious health problems, and would undergo heart surgery. Hurricane Fran slammed into the Carolinas.


Five years ago: Mexican President Vicente Fox arrived at the White House as the first state visitor of the Bush presidency. PeruÂ?s attorney general filed homicide charges against Alberto Fujimori, linking the ex-president to two massacres by paramilitary death squads in the early 1990s. (Fujimori, now in Chile, continues to fight extradition.) Sports commentator Heywood Hale Broun died in Kingston, N.Y., at age 83.


One year ago: President Bush nominated John Roberts for chief justice. President Bush and Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco, during a Gulf Coast tour, consoled Hurricane Katrina victims and thanked relief workers. An Indonesian jetliner crashed, killing 143 people, including 44 on the ground; 18 passengers survived. Jerry Rice ended an NFL career that included three Super Bowls and records for most career receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.



Interesting reading, eh? September 5th has surely been marked well in time. Yet, I keep thinking about the fact that much of this history is negative, is war in fact. What good things happened this day? What scientific breakthroughs happened this day? What charities were established? What lives were saved? What outpouring of help was made this day?

Watch the news, and you will get the opinion that we are a murderous, hateful, ignorant nation. I just watched this story of a young musician who started thinking about the musicians in New Orleans. She started a non-profit, collected instruments and funds, and donated them to musicians in New Orleans. A child leading the effort to help others. A young girl, not yet a woman, who thinks first of others and demonstrates the power of one in this world.

What would our nation be like if half the news was of the positive and hopeful events taking place each day, in each state, by children and grandparents and scholars and construction workers and environmentalists? How would we treat each other and how would we feel if our steady diet of news 24/7 had a balance of light and dark, war and peace, hatred and love?

Perhaps more people would feel as if they could contribute to this world. Perhaps more people would understand that they have a voice that counts, a life that is as valuable in a small town as it is in Redmond, Washington. Perhaps the epidemic of hungry and homeless children in America will be wiped out in a wave of people acting on the power of one.

If you are not yet convinced of the power of one, consider the life of Steve Irwin. His passion for conservation vaulted him from his parents wildlife preserve to a world known advocate for nature's most feamisunderstoodderstoon animals, fighting foexistencexistance and educating adult and children along the way. His death is such a moment of sorrow, of loss...but his life still is a model for others as to what can be accomplished by being willing to speak up even when few others understand you or believe your message at the outset, as to the power of one.

Perhaps.


~~~~
The 8:15 doctor's appointment did not start until 8:45. The 9:15 AM fasting blood work was not done until 3:40 PM. Nearly a whole day without food because there was no one in the office who could stick a needle in my arm...no one in an office filled with four board certified physicians and six nurses?


~~~~
Kashi, Madison, and Fancy are all taking naps. I cannot decide which of them is the most adorable while curled up snoozing.

I shall not be watching the news of death, destruction, and despair. I shall be watching my companions and concentrate on the wonderful feeling consuming a meal was this afternoon, savor the win I had at Scrabble, and ponder how I can avoid the impending loss on the game B_ and I had to adjourn since her husband came home.


~~~~
Don't forget that the new season of House premieres tonight!

No comments: