Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th is an ill-omened day? Nay, I say...it is a good day!

My writing student popped by this morning to mow my grass, a task funded by the birthday gift of my sister (I can afford one more mow on her dime.) My, my, my...what a beautiful sight that clean yard is!

K also brought me the most wonderful of birthday gifts (she rivals B with being able to choose the most thoughtful gifts): a 1971 reprint of the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulger Tongue, a book based on the 1788 first edition of A Classical Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.


  • Were Tiger Wood alive then, he would say of his competition: "I plan to hoop his barrel!"
  • If your hands are full of groceries, you would ask someone to "dub the gigger" as you came up the sidewalk.
  • If you were thinking about two Sundays ago, you would probably find my choice to walk up the stairs rather "mutton-headed."
  • Your commentary on Warren Buffet: "Stephen's at the door."
  • Captain Bligh? "Well, he was a cove with a queer lamp."
  • I wish there were more Sundays where I learned from "One in Ten."
  • In the winter, you made your trips to the "tea voider" as brief as possible.
  • In the inner city, if you hear "barking irons," you had better duck.
  • Though you may not have committed the murder, you can be tried and convicted for "rowing the same boat."
  • The oldest profession: a "mab."
  • Brinks keeps folks from "milling my ken."
  • J used to nurse from B's "apple dumplin shop." Does that make her my apple dumplin shop buddy?

No comments: