Thursday, March 05, 2009

Nails! I have nails! I am not sure why since I have managed mere stubs for several years now. The only difference in my diet has been the addition of a B complex vitamin supplement.

Over the past year or so, I have several people mention that I ought to try taking vitamin B or have my doctor give me B12 shots because I am so tired. Their advice sounded good, but I just never followed up on it. That is, I never did so until last week.

Standing in Target waiting for a prescription, I found myself staring at a wall of vitamins and supplements. That oft repeated advice rose to the surface of my cheese-hole brain and I decided it could not hurt to try. Originally, I picked up a bottle of B12, but the pharmacist saw my selection and suggested I try the complex instead.

I could just kiss her! And, of course, all those who offered such sage advice. Forgive me for ignoring you for so long? I hope so.

My goodness! In just a few days, I noticed that I started waking up far more easily than I have in years. When Bettina was here and we stayed up all night and then slept some, I practically bounced down the stairs when I awoke that afternoon. Normally, I would have grunted at her for at least a half hour.

Not only do I wake up easier, I feel more alert, more present during the day. This little (okay, horse-sized) pill has most assuredly changed my life for the better.

Could it have also changed my nails?

I know it is silly, but having nails makes me feel girly. So often, I feel like an oaf. When I try to dress up and be gentile, I end up with ink on my fingers, food on my shirt, and a run in my hose. I trip in front of others, knock over a pile of books or papers, and generally look like a bumbling child. So, having stubby, broken nails all the time just reinforced my view.

It is with much delight, then, that I report that I have a full set of fingernails. The moment I realized I had not broken or ripped one for a couple of days, I slapped on some nail polish to try and save them. Normally, that would not change much, but another day went by, and then another. They were growing and not breaking.

I feel silly typing this, but I admit that having nails makes me feel more like a woman and less like an oaf. For whatever reason they are growing, I am thankful. Now, I just have to get used to putting in my contacts and dialing my cell phone with more than stubby fingers!

No comments: