Thursday, August 19, 2010

another answer?

I have got to stop these crack-of-dawn doctor appointments.  Trying to keep them out of the work day has plumb exhausted me and made remaining productive at work a bloody challenge!

So, the good news is that since I have kept the weight off from when I was so ill from the medication conflict last year (I admitted I had gained about 8 lbs back and only lost that because I have had a hard time adjusting to new medication), the endocrinologist said that she would consider me having cured my diabetes at this point.  Hah!  No guilt over Dr. Pepper!  However, if I were to regain the weight I would most likely be back in the same boat.

Well, what about my low blood sugar symptoms that happen when my numbers are still "normal"?  The simple answer is that I probably get to blame the weight loss for that, too.  I lost 30% of my body weight in six months, the majority of it in the first three.  She said that gastric bypass patients often end up with insulin intolerance as a result and that is what she believes is happening. She wrote a prescription for a medication that will block the absorption of carbohydrates so as to even me out, eliminate the dips that I am experiencing and are bothersome to me.  Of course, it is another prescription that has to be ordered, so Monday will be my first day.  Having spent well over $500 on prescriptions in the past 10 days, I have no problem waiting a bit to pick this one up.  Except...well...I wouldn't mind at all some "evening out"!

We talked about the new medication I am on for dysautonomia and what she knows of the condition.  As miserable as I have been, I must admit that I have seen a marked difference in my breathing.  At work, the one thing I do is schlep up the stairs to Accounting.  It is this defiant thing I do, declaring to the world I shall be "physical" for just one moment.  I usually arrive so short of breath I cannot speak.  Today, I was barely huffing and puffing, so much so that no one would have noticed save for me.  I have noticed (and noted here) the uptick in my oxygen sats, but this is pretty significant.  I am wondering if singing will be better.  That would be truly amazing.

The nausea is getting better and better, lower dosage aside, but the quivering is still constant.  I have become a plucked guitar string.  Today, while standing at the copier, my legs were worse than those aspen leaves (I really loved visiting Colorado as a child).  I barely remained upright, but not because of feeling week so much as they were just trembling.  The truly crappy thing is that drinking a Dr. Pepper sends this into overdrive.  SIGH.  Still, in all the years I have had asthma and all the drugs that I have tried have not really helped on a daily basis aside from singular.  The production of my beloved Intal has ceased, so I have one last inhaler. [It helps immensely once the coughing starts.]  So, which do I care about more, breathing better or feeling steadier?  I really cannot wait to talk with my primary doctor about this one!

I was also chastised about not following up with my thyroid testing.  Being on medication for this means I need monitoring.  I accepted her disappointment and promised not to miss my next appointment  in three months.




I am Yours, Lord. Save me!

No comments: