Thursday, August 05, 2010

Speaking of feasts, the new parish pastor gave me such a helping of Word this morning to carry me through tomorrow I could barely take in such a wonder.

I asked if he would pray with me, for I am scared about the study tomorrow at the hospital, even though I am convinced it is a good way for the cardiologists to get the data they need.  I very much would like some help with my heart.

I must admit that I was hoping he would do the anointing oil thing for healing with me.  He did.  And so much more.  He began with confession/absolution, but of a different sort.  Then much prayers and bits of Living Word.  Thrice he prayed the Lord's Prayer, with his hand upon my head.  He made the sign of the cross with the oil near the beginning and then kept praying.  I will also admit that I was a bit distracted because I could feel only half of the cross since half my forehead is numb.  That was a very strange experience, longing for something but only feeling part of it.  Because of that, I was grateful he put his hand on my forehead.

What was truly marvelous was that he prayed several psalms at the end.  I recognized two, but not the others, which inspired me to pray the Psalter even more than I do for knowing such prayers is truly a treasure.

Afterward, we talked for a bit and I shared my fears.  He had good words for them, as well as more Word.  At one point, when he started reciting one from heart, I was almost jealous.  I wish that it were not so difficult for me to remember things now.  For a while, I have been trying to learn Lord Jesus Think on Me and a few other hymns.  But I struggle with remembering so greatly that I have not been successful.  [That is, incidentally, why it is that I happen to think it is near ludicrous for me to be trying to learn Greek.] 

The prayers were a glorious way to start the day and something concrete which I can hold onto while lying on the table tomorrow.  Such a gracious and precious gift Pastor E gave me!

I am more fatigued than I could have wished before the study, because I spent nearly seven hours printing and cutting 600 postcards for an event on Saturday.  I was not the one supposed to be doing the labor, but, as always, I was the one who did it because it needed to be done.   Standing was excruciating and I eventually sat cross-legged on the conference table so that I could keep using the paper-cutter.  My neck and back are screaming still, but the task is done. 

It is not that I mind doing labor such as that, but I do mind spending whole days doing so...especially when the intern is given work that I should be doing.  Instead of planning and communications, I am a highly-paid personally assistant and general lackey.  Go here.  Do this.  Print.  Cut.  Collate.  Fetch lunch.  Despite having designed/drafted three flyers, one donor card, three registration forms, one ad, finishing off the aforementioned postcard, producing 600 of them, printing 200 registration forms, researching homelessness statistics and retirement plan options for the organization, and negotiated for weekend meals for the inner-city school in DC, apparently I have done nothing at all.  SIGH.

At least I get to lay down the mantle of work to focus on my health and will be away from that place for the next three days.  And I shall do so still savoring the feast given to me this morning, to bolster and sustain me on the morrow.  God poured out His mercy to me this day through his undershepherd, a man who lavished upon me the sweet, sweet Gospel despite all the labors before him in his own day because God loves even this wretched child and wishes the good things of Christ to be hers.


And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious richest in Christ Jesus.
  ~Philippians 4:19

16.  JESUS PROVIDES FOR ALL OUR NEEDS.

It came at just the right timethe check would fill in the games that month during a season of unemployment.  It was a gift from a church friend and a symbol of God's provision.

God calls us to give generously.  He also calls us to give fearlessly, knowing that He is more than able and more than willing to meet our every need.  The truth is that when we give lavishly, we're giving as God givesHe lavishes us with love and blessings in Christ.  With Him as our shepherd, we surely shall not want.


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: