Monday, May 15, 2017

Visual bliss...


Today, my final birthday present to myself arrived in the mail.  I have a few more things on my list, but my number crunching told me that I had to stop.  So, I did.




I bought a pair of used Dansko walking shoes.  They are in fine shape and have lovely GREEN highlights.  It was rather heavenly to be walking with real arch support rather than $6.95 (Target clearance) slip-on sneakers.  I had almost forgotten what it was like to have shoes go around my heels, since the other shoes I've been wearing for months have been my clogs.  I did think, however, that having walked Amos for six month, it was long past time that I invest in a pair of good shoes.  These were $19.99.

Today, I tried a Facebook Live Video from my walk with Amos.  I did not plan at all, which is evident, for Amos kept jerking the camera by tugging on the leash.  When another dog appeared, that was the end of the filming.  And I had not even gotten to the best part of the walk.




Walking Amos is just brutal for me and it takes up nearly all the day's energy.  But Amos is so very bloody happy.  I cannot bring myself to stop, even though I am not sure how the heat will affect me.  I did try wearing a skirt today to have cooler legs, but I didn't have socks for the shoes, so I ended up wearing knee socks.  Hot!  I need to get some good crew socks that go with the shoes.  Anyway, the highlight of my misery—other than a happy, happy Fluffernutter—is looking at all the blooms in my neighborhood.  Like this!  I learned from posting the video that it is a peony.  I adore peonies.  I waited on baited breath for them to open.  It took eons, but I was not disappointed in those strange round buds in the least!  I very much would like to find a way to have them in my yard!!




The absolute best tulips that I have seen are these fringed ones.  Truly, I wanted to steel them such envy I had.  I have been content, though, walking past them each day.




I found columbine.  Of course, someone else had to remind me that I grew up with this flower on my vacation trips to Colorado.  I thought columbine was a different color.




They do!  I haven't spotted the blue I remember from Colorado, but I have seen both pink and white.  I just couldn't get near enough for photos.  And I would feel silly walking with my regular camera about my neck.





The tulips have drawn my interest the most.  Like I said, genuine gardener envy.





This is a good example of why I now would prefer to have tulip clumps in my yard.  They are like a bouquet in the ground!




And look at the same tulips opened in the sun!  Just lovely!




Just look at the color here!  I think it broke my iPhone camera!!




Lest you think I only snap photos of tulips and columbine, there is this lovely ... is it an iris?




This is a tree whose blossoms intrigued me.




This is a retaining wall that takes me right back to all the sedum, moss, lichen, and ferns growing in the ancient ruins in Italy.  There are a few houses that have this and I love looking at huge variety of flora and fauna growing in their cracks.

One house has a family of chipmunks living in their retaining wall.  That really freaked me out when I saw them.  Before that moment, I thought chipmunks only lived in Colorado.  Laugh, if you will.  But I do look forward to catching a glimpse of those tiny animals.




Even though it is in dire need of weeding, I very much look forward to gazing upon the remains of this tree.  It was such an old tree.  I wonder why the stump was left.  I'd love to touch it, to trace my fingertips long the ruins of the side of it.  Visual BLISS.

That's what I get along my walks.  I wonder if the show will keep up all summer or if my neighbors only highlight the world in spring.




I walk at different hours of the day, depending on when I have energy and if I need to try and avoid the heat.  I have seen far more sunsets since I started walking than before.  I am thankful for that.


I often praise God whilst walking, even when I'm huffing and puffing and groaning in pain.  I just love His hand in creation.  It's a marvel to me.  And I've been marveling for six months.  I love His world in all seasons ... even when I'm sweating like a pig!

No comments: