Saturday, September 30, 2017

A new recipe...


I made a new recipe!  When I posted it, I couldn't believe how long it has been (more than a month) since I tried a new one.  I am just so darned exhausted.




I had to core apples for the recipe, so I went to buy one.  But once I saw the image for an apple corer, I realized that I already had one!  It is old.  Maybe from my mother??  I am not sure.  I just know that I have never used it.  And, oh my goodness, was using it ever difficult!  My pacemaker went off and continued to keep my heart rate elevated the entire time I was using it.  I am not sure if I was doing something wrong or if I am just that weaker.  In any case, I do wonder if simply cutting the apples and removing the core from the pieces would have been easier.

However, I wanted to cook this all in one pot.  I mean, the original recipe gave the direction to cook the meat in one pot, the onions and apples in another, and then combine them all into a Dutch oven or stock pot or crock pot.  WHY WOULD YOU WASTE THE GOODNESS FROM BROWNING THE PORK???

So, I had to work out the prep in such as way that I could make it all in one pot and not end up with browned apples.  I decided to do all the prep first, save for chopping the apples.  And I put a towel over the cored apples to keep the air from them.  In the order of the prep, I also left coring the apples until last.  I was rather pleased with how it all worked out.




This is Peruvian Pork Stew with Chiles, Lime, and Apples!  I thought the recipe was rather tasty, but I spent the whole time eating it wondering how it would be with crusty bread.  I am, after years of having rice with nearly every meal as a youth, not all that interested in eating rice.  Now, the rice was mighty, mighty tasty having soaked up all the sauce.  But ... still ... I wondered.

I was so surprised the apples disappeared by the time I was done.  They were rough-chopped.  Of course, I have never made something like this with apples and apples have lots of water in them.  Maybe that is what is supposed to happen.  I am definitely going to make it with more ancho chiles in  it next time because I like eating the cooked pieces of them.  And I want to try to add a bit of heat.  Subtle heat, because the apples and lime and chiles are the star.

It was good to cook, even if exhausting.  I need to find a way to try new recipes a bit more frequently.  I do have all the ingredients for a new dessert that I want to try:  Lemon Greek Yogurt Pound Cake.  It has both a lemon syrup and lemon glaze on it.  Mmmmm ... lemon!

1 comment:

gbkulp said...

New tastiness is treat! Glad you had one!