Monday, October 02, 2006

My dear friend W certainly came through for me today in a mighty big way. Personally, I think that God sped her care package along in the mail since it just left Texas on Friday, and I am still reeling from being lost yesterday and struggling with the weight of another month beginning while I remain unemployed.

My dear friend W is gifted with the ability of making the most sumptuous strawberry bread, and she sent me not one, but two of them! It goes without saying that upon discovery of her culinary sacrifice on my behalf, I promptly poured a glass of milk and consumed...oh...well, let's say more than one slice of deliciousness.

Being the loving person she is, W also includes a few other kind gifts in her package. Now I can dry my tears with kleenex from a Dallas Cowboys box. I can mark my place in the books I am reading with this exquisite silver book mark that has a bone crafted feather hanging off the end. Native American jewelry is often beautiful in its simplicity.

She went to a conference on crimes against children and popped in a few freebies from there, including post it notes, one of my most favorite of all office supplies.

And there was an article that speaks to the veracity of one of my soapboxes. It was from the Washington Post and outlined the declining literacy rate among college graduates. When it comes to the importance of literacy, I sometimes feel like I am a voice crying out in the wilderness. At my old job, many of the management staff truly could not communicate clearly in written form, but that did not stop them from doing so, even to the detriment of the organization. Even though I pointed out the need for reviews before such materials were sent and was quite willing to do so, no one really cared.

Not to be overlooked was the gift of money she tucked within a gift of scripture: Psalm 103:8



The Lord is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger and
abounding in lovingkindness.


Words to nourish my soul and funds to nourish my body. I am humbled by the lovingkindness that God shows to me through her...

No comments: