Monday, June 04, 2007

My dear friend B came to help me celebrate my 40th birthday. She had traveled last weekend, but made the sacrifice of packing herself up once more and hitting the road...a bit longer on the way down because of traffic.

Because I am so tired, we hung out in my house for the whole three days of her visit. But we played games and watched movies and ate pizza. She brought her baby, so we also traded off whispering sweet nothings in his ear so we could watch his infectious smile. B even pumped before she came so that I could give him a bottle. I also fed him some cereal, but my delivery was a bit rough because I tremble even more with small movements. J didn't seem to mind the fact that much of the cereal ended up on his face before making it into his mouth.

B is amazing. She is so encouraging and loving. I truly am a better person when I am around her. On my birthday morning, she wrote and then delivered the most wonderful of letters, words that soaked into my heart and became a balm to me. Before she left, she placed Post-it notes all over the house with reasons why she loves me. I have found 15 thus far. I transferred them to the mirror in the living area so that I can read them whenever I want.

I did try to make part of the visit about her. So very much of my life has been about how poorly I feel, about the problem with the hospital, about being unemployed for a year now, about my dire financial status. I wanted this weekend of my 40th birthday to be about someone else. I washed her feet and gave her a pedicure, I gave her a lotion hand massage, and I ironed her husband's shirts. I cooked breakfast for her and didn't let her do any dishes. I cut her hair (I think it was my best job thus far) and gave her backrubs. I changed most of the diapers as well. I wish I could have done more. She deserves it. For me, it was a sweet relief to think on something other than the mess I have been floundering in lately.

This morning, saying goodbye, was the first time in a long time that I didn't cry as I watched her drive away. There was such peace in my heart from her visit. Such rest I had in her presence. To be with someone who loves you, likes you, and sees the best in you is the greatest gift one can receive.

Of course...I took a four hour nap this afternoon. While she was hear, I was most reluctant to waste nary a moment of her visit in sleeping. Though I am quite tired despite my nap, I don't regret a single minute of her visit (even when she was clobbering me at games).

~~~~
Kashi loves B as much as he does me. When she comes, his greeting is truly something to behold. For a while now, I have wanted to get one if his greetings on video tape. However, I keep forgetting in my excitement of her arrival. This time, when she called to tell me she was close, I set out the camera in preparation.

Oh, boy, he out did himself in expressing his joy at the sight of her! What was most adorable was the fact that after Kashi gave her some kisses, he moved over to the car seat and swiped J's cheeks a few times.

When she leaves, he always mopes about the house for a long while. He will trot down to the basement to look for her, coming back up with slumped shoulders and a pitiful expression in his eyes.

B loves my dog. She cares for him and accepts his quirky behavior. I think he knows this very well and appreciates the gift she gives him in her care as much as do I.

It warms the cockles of my heart that she does...

~~~~
Quirky Dog Behavior: Being frighted by the sound of a dust buster, brooms, Quicken starting, people clipping their nails, storms, flashing lights, and the chime of the camera. Barking unceasingly until someone fetches whatever toy he feels is too difficult for him to retrieve. Distributing his toys all over the house. Shall I go on?

No comments: