Tuesday, May 06, 2008

B played Scrabble with me this afternoon, since I am working from home due to the absolute lack of air-conditioning in the entire office building through Wednesday. I won. She won. B would say, "That's the way it should always be!"

D has been working on a piece of writing with me. She is truly a talented writer. In many ways, she eclipses me (just not in knowing comma rules). She calls me her writing coach, a title that is an honor in my opinion. Today we finished it.

Writing with another--editing and evaluating word choice, construction, and message--is probably my favorite activity...or at least it is tied with drinking Dr. Pepper and playing games! Seeing D grow as a writer is such a privilege.

I also spent hours and hours and hours out in the yard this evening. Such peace I have when it comes to puttering about with my hands deep within soil.

I mowed and edged, but left the weeding for another time since I was starting to shake. Then I turned to the flowers I bought while out with my father on Saturday. I treated myself to just $25 of flowers and a bag of potting soil that I will need should I ever get to replacing the bushes that died during last summer's drought.

Less is more, right? I have been trying to live by that in small ways and big. Certainly less can be more when it comes to writing. So the four pots that were in pieces that I had been hanging on to with strategic placement, rubber bands, and regular application of glue are now in the rubbish bin. Making that choice meant I had to move some things around, but I ended up with a larger moss garden with a "river," bridge, pagoda, and two Chinese figurines. My remaining pots, and my fountain are all now sporting new flowers!

Having spots of color scattered about my decks really does cheer me up. A bubbling fountain, a neat yard, and new flowers. What more could you want?

No comments: