Monday, May 12, 2008

Rain, rain go away
Please come back another day!


My basement flooded last night. I ran the shop vac every hour on the hour every hour from 9:00 PM until 6:00 AM. I did then sleep for 6 hours, but I had to get up or I will have trouble sleeping tonight and getting up tomorrow. I am, however, fairly miserable between my aching muscles and my screaming arthritis.

The two streets behind me were evacuated because the neighborhood flooded again. Fairfax County has been dragging its feet ever since the Army Corps of Engineers determined that the flood of June 2006 that ruined so many houses and cars was due to the construction at Wilson Bridge (they ruined Cameron Run). The accepted "fix" was to build a levy, but no one wants to pay for it. I imagine the homeowners who were evacuated last night are pretty frustrated.

I keep a 24 oz mason jar out on my deck as a rain gauge. It was completely full this morning. Boy did we have a terrific storm last night with seemingly unending torrential rains and winds.

No comments: