Monday, November 10, 2008

Kashi and I walked through Huntley Meadows today. He was so, so very happy!

I did not believe that either he or I would make it through the 2.25 mile loop, but we did. Kashi most enthusiastically wagged his tail the entire way, excitedly exploring every inch of ground over which he trotted.

He is due to have a second acupuncture treatment on Friday. I committed to trying three of time before passing any judgment. While his leg does not seem much better, there was a tremendous difference in the overly sensitive nerves in his back. Prior to the treatment, if you went to pet him on his back, his skin would jerk in a ripple from neck to tail. Now, nothing happens. I still cannot quite accept that such a change could come.

However, he is still not standing on his leg and avoids using it when he is running around the back yard. The point of going to Huntley Meadows was to give a longer version of the slow-walk-therapy I have been giving him by traipsing around our neighborhood. Losing ourselves in the woods, in my opinion, is far more pleasant than traveling the concrete sidewalks near home. I believe that Kashi agreed with me.

It was quite dark and cold by the time we finished. If you look through the trees in this photo, you will see the moon that lit the path on our way home. We were both rather exhausted, but contentedly so.

No comments: