Thursday, November 25, 2010

the love of our Friend...

Sunshine helped me go to Divine Service last night so that I might have the Lord's Supper. 

As much as I longed to take in the body and blood of Christ, I was tired.  Very tired.  Brother Goose called to pray some psalms with me before I went in and she sat with me in the pew.  Well, she sat and I lay down.

She asked if I wanted her to stay with me, a query to which I nodded emphatically.  I did not want to commune.  However, it turned out that I did.  By mistake, she was not served.  I tried to get the server's attention, but I failed.  My utter joy at what I received with mixed with great sorrow at what she lost in staying by my side.

Sunshine, so aptly nicknamed, took joy in the forgiveness wrapped in healing and sustenance that I received, rather than focused on what she missed.  She was truly happy for me.

We are taught that there is no greater love than a friend who lays down his life; Sunshine gave up life.  Could there be greater love than that?  I am truly humbled by her care of me, primarily because so often I clearly see the Holy Spirit at work, giving her Words to pray, hymns to sing, when she could not truly know how much that particular Psalm, that particular hymn would mean to me in that moment.  She is quick to always say she is no great person.  In that respect, she, too, is a miserable, wretched sinner.  But she is baptized, given the name of Christ, and filled with the Holy Spirit who works through her that He might love me, care for me, with her hands and her voice.

In the same way, my beloved Bettina lets me know that I am loved, playing iPod games with me, miles apart but together nonetheless.  She sent me a doodle drawing.  She makes quick calls.  She sings and prays.  She tells me about her day.  She records the silly songs her son sings.  She includes me in her life.  Her husband sends his love and affection via offers of stuffing--how well he knows my gluttonous desire for such good food!

In the same way, Manna reaches out from the great white north and sends those wonderful quickie update emails on the moments of her day, with encouragement and messages from her husband as well.  He's been painting up a storm and I get to tease him about having a new painting job waiting for him in Fort Wayne if I close on the house, Lord willing.  It is good to joke and laugh and tease a bit, to step outside the job loss and uncertainty and pain and fatigue and just have those newsy, breezy, cheery exchanges.

In the same way, the editor takes time out of his crammed life to regularly preview the Snippets emails for me--full well he knows how important it is to me to be sharing the Book of Concord in a good, right, and salutary manner. 

Oh how the Creator loves His creatures!


Lord, I believe.  Help my unbelief!

No comments: