Friday, November 19, 2010

Wanted, lessons on dressing for winter...

Last winter, I went Christmas caroling and got in some real trouble with the cold.  Then, I had dressed warmly and had a coat, scarf, and gloves.  My godmother gave me her baby to warm my chest; the pastor fetched blankets and draped them about me.  I should have been toasty.  But I wasn't.  I couldn't really walk...whole body shivering and cramps in my leg muscles.  I didn't think about it much beyond that day. 

After all, anyone who really knows me knows that I embrace cold like a dear friend!  I am not really comfortable until the temperature drops to the 60's.  I find the 40s balmy.  The 20s a bit brisk.  I rarely wear a coat.  My turtlenecks have gone unworn for years.  My concession to the cold is a scarf and gloves, maybe another undershirt.

However, the dysautonomia has vastly affected my thermoregulation and I fear this winter, wherever I may be, is going to be a series of hard lessons for me.

Today, I went to Lowe's to fetch some sand and pea gravel to put out front (yes, I have continued to tackle projects needing done about the house even after placing it on the market).  I had on my track suit, with bike shorts, thick socks, and three tank tops.  I was fine when I got out of the car.  I sort of felt the cool air walking across store, but thought nothing of it.  Laboriously hefting the bags into the cart should have left me sweating, but it did not.  Pushing the heavy cart to the checkout stand, I started to shiver.  By the time it was my turn, I resembled an aspen leaf in the fall winds.  The cashier actually picked up his heater and placed it on the counter for me.  I really was surprised at how cold I was, given the temperature was only about 55 degrees.  I keep the house at 67.

Then, I tried to get to my car.

I didn't make it.

Part way across the parking lot, I fell to the ground and curled in a ball trying to warm up. I didn't care about my cart or where I was.  All I could think was that I was in trouble.

Christ be praised, an older man came along with his wife and daughter.  Through chattering teeth, I managed to tell him the problem.  His wife took my keys and ran to the car to start the engine and turn the heat on full blast.  He then basically picked me up and carried me to the car, his daughter following with the cart.  After getting me settled in my seat, he unloaded my purchases in the back of the car and put the cart away for me.

When I arrived home, I took my temperature. It was 95.2.


It was a rather sobering moment, soaking in the heat, trying to recover enough to drive myself home.  I think the randomness of it all is so difficult to handle.

I mean, this summer, there were several times that I ended up blasting the heat in my home, more than once punching the button until it reached 80 degrees.  Normally, I start getting uncomfortable above 70, really noticing the temperature and its effects beginning to creep over me at 72.  I never really know what might trigger the plummet in temperature.  Logically, winter will be a problem.  But later this evening, when I had to go out again and it was colder, I was okay.  I had changed my clothing, but I still forgot to take a coat.

I really do not have much by way of winter clothing. 

I wonder what it will be like in Fort Wayne.

I will proffer that I do not believe it is a coincidence that during the inspection for the house I chose it was determined the heating system is the largest possible for the house, i.e., I shall have no problems keeping it toasty should that be necessary.


I am Yours, Lord.  Save me!

No comments: