Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Blasted nerves...


I learned something today about nerves.  You have nerves that tell hot and cold.  You have nerves that  tell pain.  And you have nerves that vibrate.  I learned this because I was telling my GP that I keep having these spots in my body that vibrate, like a phone telling you that you have a message when it is on silent.  For me, the new sensation is rather discombobulating.

I actually also have other new symptoms, but they are more of the same old, same old: numbness and tingling and shocking pain.  The shocking in my hand sometimes now goes up my forearms.  And I have numbness and tingling in my upper arms, just below my shoulders.  But this vibrating?  Well, it just bothers me something fierce.

It started so randomly that I thought it was my pacemaker, because it was happening in my chest.  But now the vibrating happens in many parts of my body.  I thought it might be my muscles.  But, alas, I learned today that it is, most likely, my nerves.

The next time it happens, my GP said to put my hand over the spot.  If it is the muscles, then I will feel my fingers move.  If they do, then the muscles are fibrillating.  But she does not believe that will happen.

Those blasted nerves of mine.
SIGH.

I am not sure if I have written that the neurologist believes that all of my neuropathy is from the Sjögren's.  In fact, she believes that the Sjögren's caused the dysautonomia.  If that is true, then I have had it much, much longer than I believe.

I spent about three years complaining about my dry mouth that no amount of water helped.  I kept getting checked for diabetes.  But, really, I might have been complaining longer.  Still, I was diagnosed with dysautonomia in 2010, after fainting for three years.  So, could I really have had Sjogren's for 11 years and not know it?

I am not much interested in knowing what caused my dysautonomia.  Sometimes, a cause can be found, but what does it matter?  Dysautnomia is incurable.  The point is to find the helps that can make living with it more bearable.  Quality of life is much more important than knowing  the cause.  I say this because I see folk online chase the cause to the tune of thousands of dollars and testing after testing and testing.  Many take the tilt table test many times.  Once really is enough.

The response about the Celebrex is more waiting.  Most likely, I will be moved to immunosuppressants, and, since the prednisone is working for me on the joint pain, they should work for me.  So, Celebrex might not even be a factor.  But, if I need it, Celebrex will be a try-it-and-see sort of situation.  Meanwhile ... the pulmonologist has me staying on the prednisone.

Of course, the MRI results could put a wrench in to the rheumatology and pulmonology plans.  But I am rehearing the news that it will be normal and everything is just my blasted nerves.  That's dysautonomia for you, a wretched life with little that shows up on standard medical tests.

Would that it were some company believed that investing in autonomic nervous system research had value.  SIGH.

No comments: