Thursday, October 18, 2018

Surprised...


I learned something new in Church last night.

The sermon was on the rich young ruler, the telling in Mark 10:17-22.

As He was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to Him and knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”  And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.  You know the commandments, ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said to Him, “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up.” Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, “One thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.

The pastor was gone again this week, with his wife having surgery on the morrow, so the sermon was given by a seminary student.  He was one of those who preaches speaking with exaggerated dynamics, something I do not particularly care for in church (or anywhere).  The microphone made it worse, and my ears kept hurting at times.  So, at first, I was not the most attentive listener.  I just wanted him to finish!

For a short while, I thought about going to stand at the back of the church or even in the narthex, but I finally decided to grit my teeth and bear the discomfort in my ears.  I doubled my efforts in concentration and worked really hard to follow his message.  Where he went was not where I thought he would go.

I would wend my way there the way he did, but I will simply say that I was surprised.  This wasn't a story about keeping the Law or a story about tithing or giving away your possessions or being wealthy.  It was a story about Jesus.

Jesus wasn't saying to keep the Law, nor was He condemning wealth or promulgating charity work.  Read the passage and look at where He ends.  What do you have to do to inherit the kingdom of God?     Follow Christ.  Be a Christian.

The seminary student mentioned that some biblical scholars believe the rich young ruler was Mark.  One reason for this is the detail included here that is missing from the other two instances of this story:  that Jesus loved him.

But that detail wasn't just for Mark.  It is for all of us.  Jesus loved Mark just as He loved us all and died for us on the cross so that we could inherit the kingdom of God.  We don't do anything for that inheritance.  The very nature of inheritance is a gift.  Receive it.  Just follow Christ.

His sermon fundamentally changed the way I look at and feel about the rich young ruler.  For that, I am grateful.  Of course, I am also grateful for the Lord's Supper once more.

No comments: