Thursday, November 29, 2018

Christmas mailings...


I finished my Christmas cards tonight.  My goal was to get them done by December 1st, so I am a whole day early.  I worked on a spreadsheet of folk I wanted to sent cards to for a few weeks.  That is because it took me that long to remember everybody.  I also added columns for those to whom I wish to send packages.  Because, you know, I need me a plan for everything these days.

My small Christmas gift plan started last year, since I just don't have money for gifts.  In January, I started saving $10 a month for supplies, gifts, and postage.  My dear friend Becky helped me with my plan for gifts, and I have been slowly working on it.  I have everything ready to put the gifts together, wrap them, and get the bubble mailers ready to post.

That's the work for this weekend.

It bothers me that I don't really give gifts or treat others.  It bothers me that I mostly hoard every penny I have and all gifts and treats are really just dreams I have for myself.  Not really dreams, but desires.  Well, not really desires, but sometimes longings and sometimes just thoughts.

It is not untrue to say that I dislike being poor.  But it is also untrue for me to say that I haven't learned immensely from being so.  I wish I had applied myself to fiscal management the way that I have now back when I was working.  I was never a spendthrift, but I could have saved ever so much more money.  Now, it is all about scrimping and saving just to pay bills ... mostly medical and now dental.

SIGH.

I do worry that those whom will be receiving my small Christmas package, will scoff at my idea.  What I decided was that I wanted to share some of my favorite things.  Three being a very biblical number, I chose three things, but due to finances, I had to settle on two.

Is the sharing of my favorite things a selfish way to send gifts??

No comments: