Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Too soon...


I wept for Amos the other night, lying in bed thinking about him.  His eighth birthday is coming up and it frightens me.  That means that he has more than passed the halfway mark of his life.  I wept and curled my body around his and thought about how much he has changed.

Chief amongst the changes is how he no longer bounds out of bed in our mornings.  Instead, he lifts his head and rolls over on his back to properly position himself for some belly rubs.  When I tire, he then rolls over and goes back to sleep.  Yes, I am much more likely to get out of bed first these days!

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

To me, it seems as if he has slowed down almost immediately.  But, I suppose, it has been longer in coming.  And he does still frolic about the place when the mood strikes.

I love him.
I need him.
I finally understand the desire to ignore birthdays.

He has also become more clingy.  Or perhaps the word should be more drape-y.  He is more wont to put a paw on me when curled up beside me.  His desire to be in my lap has increased.  And his separation anxiety is worse.  Much worse.  Of course, that means his greeting when I return from appointments or errands or church is much greater.

Oh, how I love my Amos greetings!

I've kept Amos sheered a tad short for well over a year now.  Maybe longer.  I decided that I wanted to have him fluffy for a while, so I put away the scissors.  I had forgotten the joy found in burying my fingers in his curls as I hold him.

So very much joy my beloved Fluffernutter brings to me!

No comments: