Saturday, November 17, 2018

Hope...


I had a thought in church on Wednesday that I wish someone could work out for me, for I haven't had much luck.  It has to do with hope.  You know, I am not so good with that.

One of the hymns we sang started out with "Lord of all hopefulness."  I am not sure I have heard that one before, but I know the tune ... not that I could figure out where I knew it from.  I admit that I did not sing much of the hymn because I was first trying to figure which hymn I did know and then I was dwelling upon the thought I was trying to have.

Yes, I wrote that correctly.
A thought I was trying to have.

When we say in the liturgy, "our hope is in the Lord,"  I honestly do not know what that means.  I think only about hope of eternal life.  As in, hope of where we'll go when we die.  And I am not sure I've ever thought about it being anything different or ... more.

But when I saw the words "Lord of all hopefulness" I was struck by a thought that I cannot finish forming, that I cannot grasp.  If God is the source of all hopefulness, then what does that mean for me?  Is hope something that He can bestow?  If hope is something that I can receive instead of something that I have to manufacture myself....

No comments: