Monday, January 02, 2006

A solid day of reading, resting, and reading some more. I am just two and a half colossal novels to go before I get to dive into Robert Jordan's new book, Knife of Dreams. Seeing there sitting on the shelf is driving me crazy! I must admit that I have picked it up on more than a few occasions with the intension of peeking a bit. Each time, my better self ruled supreme and I was able to return it to its place unopened.

I do believe that this is the second to last one in the series. For eleven books (he tossed off a prequel a couple of years ago), I had thought that the twelfth would be the last. However, I have it on very good authority that the next one should do it.

Thus far, I have read 6,834 pages. The new book has 761. And yet the story begun on the first page is not yet finished! 6,834 pages during which I have marveled at his craftsmanship and reveled in the friendship shared among the main characters.

His story is the epitome of the battle between good and evil and I have savored each and every page. He writes of love and laughter, of sorrow and loss. He writes of friendship, loyalty, and acceptance. He write of culture and belief, of vision and quest. He writes of home and family. He writes of adventure. He writes of seeking truth and knowing yourself--strengths, weaknesses, limits, boundaries, beliefs, capabilities, potential, flaws...learning these and being humble enough to understand that the learning really never ends.

Throughout it all ones one common theme: Evil flourishes by man's choice. Good conquers by man's choice.

The battle is not easy, nor can one turn aside for even one moment. Each day, each footstep, each conversation, each choice marks the path they find themselves on in this battle. Choosing good is not easy. Choosing good oft means risk and sacrifice for no promised gain other than having made the choice for good. The path is hard. The way is narrow.

Sound familiar? I would not even venture a guess as to whether or not Robert Jordan is a Christian, but I find strong parallels when I read of the life of obedience God calls us to in His Word.

No person is ever too long in the dark to turn to the Light. Each day is filled with choices. The path is hard. The way is narrow.

No comments: