Monday, July 14, 2008

I confess to a bit of retail therapy: I now own the series Farscape.

I had no business flinging down the copious amount of greenbacks it took to gain these 88 episodes. I already owned the movie (which I was saving to watch after I got the series), but the series was something for later. Since the first season is no longer in distribution, it is not--I repeat NOT--economical. In a moment of anguish, I set those careful frugal notions aside and hopped on line to discover the least expensive way to acquire this story that captures my interest.

Tonight, I watched the first two episodes.

Now I also confess that it is my hope, having had success with Stargate SG1 and Dr. Who, I might just convince B that she needs to become acquainted with Farscape, too. However, I fear I already have a bit obstacle to overcome: Claudia Black.

She and Ben Browder were actors who starred in Farscape and then also starred in SG1. While the character of Cameron Mitchell was enjoyable, Vala Malduran was a bit irritating to both B and G. Having met Claudia in Farscape, I marveled at the sheer departure in character rather than the less than lovable traits.

In Farscape, she plays this woman who was separated from her parents and raised by the military. At the beginning of the series, she loses her place in the only world she knows--one bound by regiment and rules and superior disdain for all other life form--to land on a ship of escaped convicts. Her character grows and learns and changes, her journey one of the most compelling pieces of the Farscape story. But will B be able to see "the radient" Aeryn Sun or will she only see Vala?

No comments: