Thursday, July 10, 2008

One of the reasons I worry so about traveling is that I nearly killed Fancy. T'would have been a grievous blow after my diminished mental capacity directly led to Madison's horrible death last Thanksgiving.

Having a place for her cage right near the bed was great because then she could see me at all times while up in the attic. She frankly has not traveled well since Madison died. In short, she does not eat. I put out fresh millet and her favorite seed and fruit pellets and they remain untouched.

After swallowing the huge dollop of great big love that was my bedroom at B's house, I set up Fancy's cage and unpacked all of Kashi's toys. I put out food for Fancy and food and water for Kashi.

Did you catch that? I only put out food for Fancy. I completely forgot to fill her water bowl. I completely forgot to do so. I forgot.

Were I not in the habit of sticking her face in streams of water each time we are near a faucet (I worry that she is not hydrating enough as it is), Fancy could have died in the nearly 3 days she went without water.

I was aghast and bereft upon discovering my horrible neglect of a bird that has been such a great companion for me. Immediately, I was overwhelmed once more. Only this time, it was the belief that I should not be a pet owner. I forget them. I neglect them. I harm them.

Fancy gulped down quite a bit of water as soon as I rather hastily filled her container. I also immediately flung my worry at B even though she was in the bathroom with her husband. I wanted to rage at her because she is my memory. Why didn't you realize I had not filled Fancy's water bowl? But I was not angry at her. I was angry at me. I forget so much.

I start to do something and then I get distracted and forget that I what I was doing. I'm sure you're thinking, That's not so bad. I do the same. But do you? Do you really? Do you leave the stove top gas burning for hours on end? Do you leave the faucet running in the sink only to discover it the next day when you return to that bathroom? Do you leave your back door standing open all night? Do you forget what day of the week it is, again and again and again? Do you leave laundry in the washing machine for a week or more? Or the sprinkler running for not one, but two days? Do you pay the same bill 2 or 3 times? Do you wear just one earring? Do you wear one black shoe and one brown? Do you leave your lunch hanging on the doorknob of the front door? Can you form letters? Can you spell your name? Can you push the proper button on elevators?

I do. I can't.

No comments: