Friday, July 18, 2008

So, well, I had a bit more retail therapy.

You see, after my indiscretion with Farscape, my bank account was saved by a rather challenging assignment from one of my contract companies. While I had to sub-contract out a few charts in Excel (I am quite envious of how quickly B's husband G managed to whip them together), I still earned just over the amount of those 88 episodes.

At first, I practically balked at the task. While I do have a reputation of being able to pull a miracle out of my back pocket, sometimes this particular client overestimates my abilities to do so. I had just two days to create a draft of a PowerPoint presentation for heads of travel industry companies and visitor bureaus who were exhibiting in an international trade show in Beijing that met three objectives: 1) an overview of Chinese culture; 2) a primer on how to do business in China; and 3) a profile of the Chinese outbound traveler. After much doubt, I managed another miracle.

Instead of being thankful that my retail therapy did not greatly damage my budget, I gave myself another session. [I know I am disappointing those who turn to me for solid fiscal advice.]

There I was, writhing in pain and...yes....feeling sorry for myself...when I thought of a most wonderful, fantastic, terrific idea for G's birthday present. I searched online, set about procuring one, and then basked in my success (I am most fervently hoping he will like it as much as I believe he should).

My little shopping excursion did distract me from the waves of pain, so I thought about getting something else for me. What I chose was something that I have wanted for over 20 years. I asked myself...why am I waiting? Just do it.

It is an antique (were you to visit my home you would understand how well it will fit in to my abode). It is a prime piece of American ingenuity. It is representative of the heart of me.

Voila!

No comments: